Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Just curious....I've been reading about red keys, code cards and immobilizers the past few days and was wondering if my 2001 ST4 is supposed to come with either one. I purchased it a few weeks ago and received two black keys (the previous owner told me this is what he had been given when he purchased the bike from the original owner).

I understand that this was something Ducati did for a few years in the 2000s but I couldn't find any definitive answer to what MY ST4 were affected. Not that I really understand the immobilizer concept anyway, or have any immediate need, but is this something I should be worrying about?

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Your 2001, like mine, is thankfully devote of such useless stuff. FWIW, the way to verify this on Ducs is to look for the antenna device surrounding the top of the ignition barrel (thick black ring attached to the top of the barrel or tank cover). The tank cover piece is different between the non-red key ST2/ST4 and the immobilized ST4s/ST3/ST3s.

The very latest Ducs (Drivel and Multi1200) use a keyless system like newer cars. I'm trying my damnedest to avoid this in any vehicle we own. At some point it will be unavoidable. I can't tell you how many times I've seen folks way away from running cars because they forgot to hit the button. What was wrong with a physical key? Why do I have to input a PIN to start my car/bike? Sorry, I could rant on, but I'm sure no one cares. =P I really enjoy our saab with the key barrel between the seats and that it will fire the starter even if the clutch isn't disengaged.

For fun, download an Owners Manual for any immobilized Duc and see what kind of fun it is should the system have an issue.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm definitely glad we don't have to deal with this. Sounds like a huge headache... Enjoy the holiday weekend!

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
You're welcome.

Me too. These boards are not rampant with immobilizer issues, other than on the newest Ducs, but they exist with enough frequency to be worrisome to me. And, I guarantee that I would the one sidelined with the issue.

Also, shops have cracked the ECU codes and are able to kill the immobilizer function. Not to mention that ducatidiag / jpl's writer app will allow you kill it (kill it dead) also.

I'm looking forward to the day off. You enjoy it also.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Hello Tony,
You mentioned Ducatidiag will kill the immobilizer, I've looked on my screen when connectd and I don't see where I can do that.
What am I missing?
Later,
Jerry

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
So, now you're just looking for reasons to connect? =)

The writer app will let you kill the immobilizer. If I had a 5.9m or 5am, that alone would be worth the price. Hell, if jpl gets a writer version of the old ECUs going, I might have to snag it to play with the rev limiter.

Have a good one.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
You're welcome.

Me too. These boards are not rampant with immobilizer issues, other than on the newest Ducs, but they exist with enough frequency to be worrisome to me. And, I guarantee that I would the one sidelined with the issue.
Of good grief Tony. Next thing youll be diss'ing are electronically adjustable suspension and keyless ignition, steering locks and gas caps. :D

I actually know a Multi rider that never locks his forks because he's afraid it won't unlock and leave him stranded. :D

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
No comment. Well, yeah I will. Keyless steering and gas caps. Really? That sounds like something that would have come out of Detroit or from Mercedes. The Italians? Come on!

Have a good one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts