Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Im about to replace my radiator hoses with ASR silicone hoses and was wondering if any sort of sealant should be used before I install them. I bought all new clamps to go with the hoses. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I've never in my life used a sealant on radiator hoses. Does the hose manufacturer recommend one?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There were no actual instructions. There was no sealant on the old hoses either so Im going to forego any sealant. Worse comes to worse if I have issues I'll go from there. The old hoses are toast and one evidently had a small leak. Now Im wondering if I should use different clamps rather than the NAPA standard worm gear clamps. Thanks!!

Reactions: bloodycrashboy

·
Registered
204 Posts
never use a sealant on radiator hose, you will never be able to remove it down the track !!!!!!!!!!!
you will have to cut it off and run the risk of damaging the radiator

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah they went on REALLY easily and the new clamps are much wider than the oem clamps. Only have the upper to do but the rain decided to come down.

Reactions: Lanesmatb

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
There were no actual instructions. Now Im wondering if I should use different clamps rather than the NAPA standard worm gear clamps. Thanks!!
You can use a screw clamp from Napa. If you tighten it too tight, it will cut the hose. You can use a liner or buy a liner clamp if you don't want the clamp thread holes to cut the surface of the hose. Another solution is to wrap some self fusing rubber tape around the hose so the edges can be covered as well (plumbing and sometimes electrical department Home improvement Center). The flats on the clamp will prevent the edges from cutting further into the hose. So, the tape gets cut but the hose doesn't. The problem with the screw clamps is that they do not self tighten like a OEM clamp as the hose compacts over time so you will have to snug them periodically until the hose bottoms out. A screw clamps that looks perfect when installed may be too tight because the worm drive is very powerful. Too tight application causes the hose to expand out the sides of the clamp and tears the internal structure.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

The Samco clamps are the best I've found. They're pretty proud of 'em, but they are excellent wide and smooth clamps.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well then I guess I have to buy all new clamps. Wasted my money again it seems. Then, just because why not, the nipple on the radiator broke off while I was installing the hose. Can these be JB welded or do I have to get another radiator?? Im about at wits end with this bike. Edit: while jumping on ebay to look for a radiator, I snagged an aluminum fan to go with my ST2 that isnt even running yet. Lucky me!

·
Mr Leakered
8,859 Posts
I believe it was said that the nipple is actually threaded into the rad. If that can be confirmed, carefully easyout the remaining part. Then, you can either tap the broken portion or find a machine shop to fab you one. You'll need the broken part to match the threads. It should be pretty simple as a brass tube with a flare on the end is all that you need.

If it isn't threaded, getting one brazed on shouldn't be very difficult for a radiator shop.

JB Weld might work, but the heat cycling might prove to be a problem.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I brought the radiator to a mechanic who could not braze it on BUT suggested I drill the hole out, slide the remaining section in and JB Weld it. I may try it but use solder instead of JB Weld. Found a decent radiator on fleabay for $80.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If the flea bay radiator leaks, there is a good radiator repair shop in Salt Lake. I forget the name, but they have been mentioned in numerous threads. They did a good job on mine several years ago. When you start installing the hoses again, you're apt to find a leak or three. Patience and a screwdriver will end this trial. Squeeze the hoses to purge the air. The good news is that once it's done, that's it for some time. Hope you get this done before riding season really kicks off. Yes, SAMCO is pricey, but I've been happy with mine. :grin2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts