Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search and turned up nothing.

I just disassembled the brake calipers for clean up due to noise. Now I have everything back together and I can't get my brakes back. I've tried many things with out luck. Pull the lever, nothing. Rear brake, nothing.

How do I get my brakes back?

Thanks Guys.
Smalls

·
Registered
788 Posts
Did you bleed the lines?

Was the system reassembled with new crush washers?

Is there plenty of fluid in the reservoirs?

If the lines weren't disconnected from the calipers, the pistons may simply be pushed back into the calipers and need a few more pumps to bring them close to the rotors.

I'd still start by bleeding the system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, looks like I need to bleed the system. I called my guy at the local dealership and he about had a fit when I told him I separated the two sides of the caliper. Any advice on bleeding the system? DOT3 fluid ok?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can find all the info you need HERE.There is a wealth of service and upgrade information. Before you do anything else check the area on bleeding/replacing pads. Plenty of photos and instructions.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
NO!!!!! DOT 3 is NOT OK.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Galaxy is right.. at least dot 4..

NEXT !!!! look up in the phone book for a Hydraulic Cylinder Re-sleeving centre.. AND check with your dealer.. You NEED to locate the channel seals, the ones that seal the caliper halves and allow passage of fluid from one half to the other for EACH caliper.. Don't argue just get them. They might not be available as seperate items from the dealership hence the re-sleeving shop. You might think you don't need them but after all it's ONLY YOUR BRAKES !!!!! If they stop working.. SO WILL YOU!

Ok next, once you have this back and operational and back on the road.. can you find the boxes that came with your tool set?? Good pack it all back up and throw it in the RUBBISH BIN !!! Your best tool kit is a mobile phone.

Mal

·
Registered
47 Posts
Smalls,

Please - before you start taking things apart, get a maintenance manual and read it before you start. Really, if you don't know what you are doing you will get yourself in a lot of trouble.

If you don't care to do this, then get rid of the tools and just have the dealer do all you maintenance. You will be much better off in the long run and you might actually survive a bit longer.

George

·
Registered
989 Posts
gotta love thread resurrection... MAY guys... MAY, JUNE, JULY, AUGUST.. Not sure that Smalls ever came back, haven't seen anything else by him since.

Oh El Glad, Dot 5 is Silicone, does not absorb moisture but is more compressible.. there is a 5.1 or something stupid like that that will mix with dot 4 but it will only be as effective as Dot 4 and you lose the benefit of the higher boiling point etc.

In accordance with the prophecy...

Mal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts