Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, awaiting delivery of my 1098s, 2008, and I plan on removing the 1098s fairing logo and adding something custom there. Is the logo under a clear coat, i.e., is it gonna be a blow in job at the shop? I would assume it is...in which case would there be a standard Ducati number for the paint or will I have to rely on the guy in the booth to colour match since I can't do this anymore myself (used to paint bikes, no gear or booth now)?

Thanks if anyone knows...especially the paint number/match part if necessary LOL.

Shawn

·
Registered
447 Posts
Fairing decal

My 848 decal is a sticker. No clear coat over it. I was suprised by this when I first noticed it - not too durable to weather and washings. Not sure about the 1098s.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can take a razor blade and peel them off, as they are not too deep under the clear. However, you will have to hope the color you get matches perfect, or you will have to repaint the whole fairing. you could also try and just clear over area where decals were. it may take a few coats of high solids clear to level. I was not able to knock the old lip off, w/o breaking through, but I planned to repaint it a different color.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I was hoping it's a but it seems to be b and that's just a bit of a pain in the butt LOL.

I'll look around for a painter in Toronto, someone who knows Ducatis and probably can match the colour really well.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I hate painted stickers, it just seems cheap to me. Or maybe it's just because I hate having to strip them when I do custom work. By the time they're sanded off they need a little bodywork to bring the surface back to smooth again. PITA...:cool: All my bikes get stripped and redone pretty quick after I buy them so I'm used to it. I paint all the logos on. If you're going to do this you might as well paint them on...smoother too!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate painted stickers, it just seems cheap to me. Or maybe it's just because I hate having to strip them when I do custom work. By the time they're sanded off they need a little bodywork to bring the surface back to smooth again. PITA...:cool: All my bikes get stripped and redone pretty quick after I buy them so I'm used to it. I paint all the logos on. If you're going to do this you might as well paint them on...smoother too!
Yep. I still remember the PITA of taking a razor blade and heat gun/hair dryer on plastic to get OEM ones off. And on plastic it ALWAYS left it's mark, had to usually feather down to the bone and build it back up with cheese. Blah.

ps - what is your 1098 Stealth Project?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can take a razor blade and peel them off, as they are not too deep under the clear. However, you will have to hope the color you get matches perfect, or you will have to repaint the whole fairing. you could also try and just clear over area where decals were. it may take a few coats of high solids clear to level. I was not able to knock the old lip off, w/o breaking through, but I planned to repaint it a different color.
That's actually not a bad idea, I've got rid of the edge completely many times with flames on Harleys. Build up some poly clear, flatten it, blow in poly red match, paint my replacement graphic and clear the whole thing.

But I'll still need to get someone to do it LOL:(

edit: and in 3 months it will sink, probably LOL. Maybe not LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts