Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my aftermarket fairings I ordered from FairingFactory.com. I ordered these just over a month ago. These are the 2006 Xerox 999R design. This scheme was only available from FF for the 02-04 999/749, so they had to special paint a batch for my 05 999. It took a lot longer than they said it would (stated 9 days, but really took closer to 3 weeks), but they were quick to respond to e-mails and at no point did I feel they took my money and ran.

The quality of the paint job is very good for the price ($540USD delivered), the only rough spots are at the edges and very few noticeable blemishes. The shop that installed it rightfully called it a "ten-footer" paint job - looks amazing from 10 feet away. Very passable for track bodywork, which is what I'll be using it for.

I haven't had time to get some really good shots, but here are a few quick snaps. I'll try to get some in brighter sunlight later. You can click on the pictures below to see the very-large originals. You might have to disable pop-ups to see them:

The bodywork didn't include the windshield. I had to use my original. in this picture, you can see that the tailpiece doesn't have the two circular duo-lock fasteners that hold the triangular Ducati-logod black pad onto the back of the seat. I have to call the dealership tomorrow and order them.

Here you can see some of the rough spots on the edge. Also, look at the second screw to the left where the shop had to drill another hole for the windshield to fit.

The stock tailpiece has a slot underneath the rear-most panel that fits into a bolt that allows the tank and seat to slide back and forth for adjustability. Unfortunately, the FF tailpiece only has a hole which forces the tank to be placed in one position, the most rearward. Not a problem for me, since I had my tank/seat pretty far back, but a caveat for some of you who move the tank forward to get closer to the bars.

As mentioned, the actual quality of the paint is quite good. One complaint is that the red appears a bit orangey in photos, but in real-life it's not that noticeable.

Another shot of the paint. The shop was impressed with how deep and glossy the paintjob was. The belly fairings come with heat shielding installed. How good they work we'll have to see but it looks like adequate material. The side fairings do not have the spongey/bumper cloth material on the inside like on the stock fairings.

Overall fitment is okay, nothing looks too askew on the bike, but the shop had to drill and dremel in a lot of places to make the pieces actually fit to each other and on the frame. Took them 2.5 hours of work to get it to look this good. Again, I'll try to take better pictures in sunlight later of the seams and the edges of the paintjob.

Overall, I'm very happy with the fairings for the price I paid. They shipped each piece wrapped in styrofoam and bubble wrap which I was impressed with. They also sent a tracking number when they shipped so I knew where the fairings were at each step of the way. You will definitely have to factor in some time to actually get the pieces to fit though.

A couple of differences between the aftermarket fairings and the real 999R are that the font on the Xerox is a bit different on the original. The aftermarket is too sans-serif, not times-roman enough (excuse my non-technical terminology). Also, the white diagonal stripe on the side panel extends into the tank, so I'll have to buy some white vinyl to stick on the side of the tank, which should make it look more integrated when I'm not on the bike. Something like this (not very-good) photoshop jobbie:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Those really look great and for the price you simply cannot beat them. One fall at the track and you will be glad you had those on and not your stock plastics!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I think they look great! Heck you cant track day bodywork for less then $400 shipped and their not even painted!

·
Registered
345 Posts
looks great!! wow! how much did the body shop charge for fitment??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments! The shop took a couple of hours to install. Their labour charges are a bit expensive, about $80/hour, but I trust them completely which is worth more than $$$ to me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks nice!!! I'm glad you got the fitment to work. I picked the same nose fairing from that vendor and it wouldn't even fit over the headlights the piece was molded so bad. I just threw it in the basement for now (waste of $180).

-Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts