Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I change the oil on my 95 916 today. Just so I'm ok I read the Haynes Manuel and it says 4 liters which is 4.22 quarts. So I start pouring them in I get finished with 3 and it's full. So I start bike oil goes down I put in half of 4th. Oil stays at full line maybe a little below it. I start bike let it run for about 5 min and oil stays at same spot. Is this ok 3 1/2 quarts. Even though Manuel says 4.22 quarts I don't want to over fill that's what will happen if I put more oil in. Feel free to chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
279 Posts
did you replace the filter too or just the oil? as with filter change it needs more, if you left the same filter it will take less (filter already full).

and obviously you need it completely upright like on a rear stand or just held straight up by a helper.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I had changed all the oil and filter and yes it was on a front and rear stand. It was a complete oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
If you did an entire change, including filter, and the bike is on the stand and the oil level is in the middle of the window after all of that then you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
There's no way to really drain ALL of the oil. So that runs the norm. Is there an oil cooler on the bike?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right cooler

That is right i didnt think of that. I will check one last time just to make sure im ok. Thanks for all the help. Oh and just to open a HUGE CAN OF WORMS!! I used Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 good stuff.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Stupid question I know but is the bike level and at 0° before you check.
+1 on this suggestion.

My 749 trackbike caused me a moment of panic last night. Yesterday afternoon I took it out to test the newly installed calipers and master cylinder. Before I left, I observed the oil in the sight glass to be slightly above the lower limit line, maybe around 30% if the top line is 100 and the bottom is zero. When I got back to the garage I parked it in a chock that keeps the bike (more or less) upright and went inside for dinner. Came back out about an hour later and checked the oil level and it is about as far below the line as it was above before. I let the bike sit all night and all day today. Checked again when I got home from work today and the oil level is still in the same spot, below the min line. Standing behind the bike I could see that it was leaning slightly to the left, so I grabbed the handle bar and pulled a little towards me and the level in the glass shot back up past were it was before my ride last night.

Moral of the story, the oil sight glass level is very sensitive to the lean angle of the bike. Even a couple of degrees one way or the other can make it appear that the motor is either high or low on oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts