Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been a long time Ducati fan since I was in diapers. When I was about 20 I restored my first Duke a 68 Ducati Mark 3 .I had owned if for quite some time got married and finally parted with the bike. Regretting it every day.

Typical story , friend of a friend deal:

I have been tracking down an owner via word of mouth for a bike for a few months. I finally get in touch with the owner. Who confirms he has a Ducati that he purchased new in 79. Drove it a bit in the 80s had it on the track and road america during that time as well.

After some time discussing the bike he invited me up to take a look at it. During our conversation he just referred to the bike as a 900.

Sunday I had a chance to go look at the bike and at this point I am pretty excited.

Its titled as a 1980 however he claims its a 79 as he had it imported into the states. He had the old Milwaukee Ducati Dealer on North Ave help.

Long story short it appears to me a 900 MHR and pretty factory correct. As it stands now in the early 90s he removed the single seat and installed a dual seat as well as a few other pieces. However luckily he kept all of the original trim etc.

The bike comes with almost double worth in spares and misc parts and pieces from the racing days.

Long story short, I have purchased the bike. (Left a large deposit) with bill of sale. I really wasn't planning on purchasing anything and did not have a trailer or truck at my disposal yesterday. I am planning on picking it up either thursday or friday night.

Now for the questions -

The bike has been sitting approx: since 1995. He has cranked it over from time to time howeve upon starting it a few years back it the dellortos just flooded.

He stopped using the bike due to an injury and could not deal with the non electric start.

There are a few problems with the bike, he had it repainted into a white red and silver combo. Which still looks great , however I believe they only came in one color combo.

Front fork seals are shot and no fluid. Tires obviously bad. There is an oil spill tray under the bike. And the thing just doesn't run. :)

That being said this is a winter project for me. WHen I restored the last 68 I had an excellent old Ducati Dealer around that I was able to get most of the parts I needed. Now there are none around that even know about the old bikes.

I am getting ready to divise a game plan with the bike and I'm looking for some advice on how I should tackle this where to get parts and just an introduction.

Im excited that I have found this forum. Pictures I figure once the bike is in my garage and its had a good cleaning I will post some pictures.

I know there are alot of books that I have seen recommended on this forum, any other good parts resources ?

I look forward to updating this thread in the next few days.

Jonny
Lake Geneva , WI

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple other bits.

As far as value is concerned, I did some looking but couldn't really come up with a good amount.

I plan on completely dissasembling and restoring this bike to as close to original as possible. I would love to see some examples and pictures if any of you have some.

I want to at least get the bike running as it sits first. Full fluid replacement , brake check and change. etc. I just have no info to go on.

I hate the old google search because you just don't know what your getting or looking at. I was hoping some of the experts might have some excellent factory photos.

Any factory specs etc would be excellent as well. I am starting from scratch here and just do not have anything to go on.

Thanks again,

Jonny

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doing a bit of research and i'm getting a bit scared as to the availability of parts etc and even the cost. My old bike really wasn't too bad back in the early 90s.

I will need to either repair the front fairing or get a replacement as there is a bit of damage to the right front, I guess his wife bumped it and some point and if fell over in the garage.

The single rear / seat is in it's original red and green. But I am worried about the cost of replacing that front fairing.

The windscreen is pretty much perfect. Rims look pretty good some oxidation on a few spots. But they were just anodized aluminum wheels right?

The largest issue which I forgot to mention is the fuel petcock is damage and broken on the tank. I didn't pay too much attention to it as he had a replacement part. They should just be threaded into the base of the tank? There not welded in or soldered?

A couple other questions -

Oil Recommendations?
Should I be concerned with the clutch that has been sitting unactive for many years. Or are they pretty robust and durable.

Should I consider a tear down and inspect before attempting to start this bike? I do not want to damage the valvetrain or any of the other components if there are other issues due to sitting for almost 15 years.

I did kick the engine over to what felt like considerable compression. Just once. I wouldn't really call it a kick over either. Just half way down or so.

Sorry if I am asking too many questions, they just keep popping in. I really don't want to overlook something during the excitement.

Here is the plan so far :

Remove - Clean tank repair petcock
Drain Fluids - Replace
Oil cylinder walls , remove plugs and crank a few times
Inspect valve train
Drain Brakes, clean and inspect
Replace tires (which will order in the next could days) Not sure what to go with though?
Clean , rebuild carbs - dellortos are pretty simple anything I need to look out for?

After a couple days on the above I can imagine If all is well go for the start. Right? Or am I missing something.?

Thanks again,

Jonny

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Go to micapeak.com and join the bevelheads mailing list. Pretty much any question you have can be answered by somebody on there.

As for parts, they're out there but no, they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Jonnyw,
I will pm you a list of contacts worldwide for info parts etc. The list is a bit too long to post and is for the wider world of Italian bikes, so there will be quite a bit that isn't relative to Ducatis. There is, however, enough to keep you engaged for many days. Regards,
Ian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot to everyone who has PMd and posted tips etc. I will keep you all informed in this thread of the progress and all the interesting details of this bike.

On one hand I would love to get it out before the snow falls on the other I want to take my time and actually go through it piece by piece.

I have burned a day researching and following up on leads and tips from this site and everyone. Have some books on order and some parts already too.

Great resource.

Jonny

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go to micapeak.com and join the bevelheads mailing list. Pretty much any question you have can be answered by somebody on there.
Figures Micapeak would have one, don't know why I didn't check. Funny, I get to look at "the" micapeak every day out my back window! ;-)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hi Jonny,
Don't worry about the cost of the fairing, they are available from pattern makers and are quite cheap. The fuel tap is threaded into the tank and is easy to replace, although you will need a new fibre washer.

You must run the bike on SAE 50 oil, at least in summer. The clutch should be alright, except that it will probably have the plates glued together from standing. Pull in the clutch lever and jump on the kickstart to try to free them. If this does not work you will have to remove the sidecover and the pressure plate and lever out the plates and clean them. As long as you have put in fresh oil you could try and start the engine and see how it runs. I would change the oil again though to ensure that any moisture that has been in circulation is removed.

The carbs will need cleaning and probably new float needles. The wheels are painted and will probably be very corroded under the tyres, so you may need to get them powder coated. I love Avon Roadrider tyres.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts