Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here, just having bought a 2019 1260 Pikes Peak (posted some info here) and I've got of a couple of questions for the group:

1. I'm thinking about getting the keyless gas cap. Is it easy to install?

2. On my other bikes, I've always had a permanently mounted GPS cradle. However, I'm thinking about keeping things simpler for this bike and I might just use my iPhone. Does anyone have suggestions how to mount and power one?

3. Any suggestions on a small tail bag? I've ordered the Ducati panniers but I'd like a small tail bag for things like a can of Plexus, a puncture repair kit, and some Cliff bars; stuff for a day-ride.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new here, just having bought a 2019 1260 Pikes Peak (posted some info here) and I've got of a couple of questions for the group:

1. I'm thinking about getting the keyless gas cap. Is it easy to install?

2. On my other bikes, I've always had a permanently mounted GPS cradle. However, I'm thinking about keeping things simpler for this bike and I might just use my iPhone. Does anyone have suggestions how to mount and power one?

3. Any suggestions on a small tail bag? I've ordered the Ducati panniers but I'd like a small tail bag for things like a can of Plexus, a puncture repair kit, and some Cliff bars; stuff for a day-ride.

Thanks!
1. Not sure, but if you don't have to remove the tank it will be easy. If you do have to, it will be a PITA. Someone else will need to answer this.

2. I use a RAM handlebar mount with an X-Grip for my phone and ran a charge cable from there, along the cluster of cables bundled on the throttle side, down the side of the tank between the fairing, and to the battery. Works great for me. Easy to put in and take off. Holds securely and out of the way of the display.

3. Can't go wrong with a Kreiga bag.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
1. I don't have the keyless gas cap, but they have a reputation of being unreliable. I'm not sure if that is still the case, but they don't have a great track record. Also, I can't say for certain, but I would assume a dealership will have to activate the gas cap. You can probably do the install, but with the canbus, you will have to get the mother computer plugged into actually get it to work.

2. I have a Garmin 395 on mine using the Ducati mounting bracket. It works fine.

3. Note that the tool kit actually has a plug kit in it. As for a small tail bag, I am a big fan of Wolfman, particularly the rollies. Their stuff is pricey, but it lasts and has flexibility. Its nice having all of the loops etc. for tying on extra stuff.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't think there is any metal in your tank cover, so bag options are limited to non-magnetic. For my money, the Givi Tanklock system or something similar, is the only way to fly. Some people don't like the ring, I guess cause it looks ugly. You can't beat it for convenience, though.

The Ducati branded bag, which is a Givi, is capable enough, but the phone window is a joke. You could get a Givi bag without it for less money and be better off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think there is any metal in your tank cover, so bag options are limited to non-magnetic. For my money, the Givi Tanklock system or something similar, is the only way to fly. Some people don't like the ring, I guess cause it looks ugly. You can't beat it for convenience, though.

The Ducati branded bag, which is a Givi, is capable enough, but the phone window is a joke. You could get a Givi bag without it for less money and be better off.
He asked about a tail bag, not tank bag. Good suggestions though for tank bags. I've got a small Givi tanklock.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I second the Ram X-Grip, works great. I've never had a tail bag, but I do use an Icon tank bag (the smallest they make) and it holds enough stuff for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that Kriega sells a strap kit for the Panigale to attach their bags. Do you know if there's something similar for the Multistrada?

·
Registered
577 Posts
The straps that come with a Kreiga are probably enough to fit it to the Multistrada pillion seat. I haven't tried it, but the beauty of the Kreiga design is there are so many different ways to attach the bag, unless there aren't any mount points at all (like a Panigale), you'll figure out a way to fit it. I know there are hooks underneath the seat on a Multi, that's all you really need.

·
Registered
706 Posts
For the gas cap, I went with one of the quarter turn quick release caps. Gets rid of the key without the worry of the electronics on the OEM keyless locking cap. My bike spends it's days indoors or in a locked lot at work so I really don't fear it being tampered with.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the gas cap, I went with one of the quarter turn quick release caps. Gets rid of the key without the worry of the electronics on the OEM keyless locking cap. My bike spends it's days indoors or in a locked lot at work so I really don't fear it being tampered with.
I ended up ordering the same thing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My search for a better tailbag continues. Currently, I'm using an older Eclipse bag.

As for the fuel cap, I'm not interested in another potentially temperamental electronic device, especially at the price. I'm picky though, and want a silver keyless cap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My search for a better tailbag continues. Currently, I'm using an older Eclipse bag.

As for the fuel cap, I'm not interested in another potentially temperamental electronic device, especially at the price. I'm picky though, and want a silver keyless cap.

Once I get the new cap nstalled, I’m going to try to modify the old one to make it keyless. If that doesn’t work I will use it as a template for making a whole new keyless cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts