Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've had two Ducatis in the past (both sold) and am considering a third - a Monster 696.

I had a Sport 1000 for a few years and then traded it in for an 848.

I loved the Sport 1000 around town (where I do most of my riding) and I like the 848 for open road stuff which I won't do as much of now, so I'm strongly considering getting a Monster.

My main concern is riding position. Contrary to so many riders out there I actually LIKE being really stretched out and don't mind the low clip-ons of either the 848 or Sport 1000. Has anyone on here put low clip-ons on their Monster? I've done some searches but couldn't find any pictures. Does it quicken/soften handling? Any other issues?

Also the 696 only has 80hp? Is that plenty for around town? I don't really want to spend more money to upgrade to the 1100 so I'm hoping it's fine.

Haven't posted on here since the Spring. It's nice to be back. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I too like the stretched out riding position (09 Monster 1100). The problem with the 1100 is there are not many after market parts available yet, so you may not have much luck in finding someone who has tried clip-ons yet. Not sure if after-market parts availability is better for the 696 ...

As to power, I test drove the 696 and felt it was under-powered (I weigh 220 lbs). The 1100 was more to my preference for local commuting and the occasional run through mountain twisties. I can't "hang" with the very experienced riders on GSX'ers or 1198's, but I really don't care too either (I'm 53 and am no longer "fearless").

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't know that you have to find 696 specific clip-ons. If you measure the diameter of the fork tubes where the clip-ons will be mounted I'm sure you'll find a set that will work.

Coming from a sport 1000 and an 848 you may be frustrated with the power of a 696. I briefly went to a 749S a few years back; loved the handling, hated the lack of power and torque compared to the 1000's.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
923 Posts
the 696 rocks. i ride my gf's more than my 999. I also had a GT1000 prior to my 999. do it. well...i guess since your sbk is gone go 1100. 80 hp is a good number....but everyone overlooks a more important one...TORQUE.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,715 Posts
if possible, you should consider my 1100S for sale in the classifieds. seriously, you should have a look. almost new, and with tasteful mods. trust me on this.....

hope all is well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts