Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the first time Im going to check the valve clearance, and I have some stupid questions.....

I am a beginner at this so dont laugh,,, I want to do this my self :) Note that if I find reason to adjust I will not do this my self....

How do I get the piston at tdc? I have the haynes manual that says: the valve clearances must be measured with the valve closed, piston at tdc.

Im trying to understand the system.

so i have 4 valves? and 2 pistons?
4 covers? one in the rear where I have to take off the back spring
one where the battery needs to come out, one underneath the oil cooler and one in the bottom.

So the one in the back is the exshaust opening and closing rocker
and the one in the bottom?

I have put my bik up on a stand (dont know the name in english) to lift the rear tire of the ground.
do I still need to lift the rear to get the spring off?

Im from Norway so my english might not be to good. so I hope you understand my questions...

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are several vids on youtube on valve adjustments that helped me out when I did mine the first time. Now its easy. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As these engines are 4 stroke there are 2 points at which the engine is TDC in any full four stroke cycle. one is the compression stroke and one the exhaust stroke. It is the compression stroke TDC you want to measure at.
There is a little window on the left hand side of the engine which will tell you when the engine is at TDC you just need to find out which one. If you stick you finger over the spark plug hole you will feel which one is the compression stroke. This needs to be done for both cylinders independantly
Hope that makes sense

·
Registered
164 Posts
It would just be easier to get a service manual than try to explain that to you. Watching a couple of how-to videos, will also help you understand the process.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im getting there :)

Ok, the fuel tank is off,,, battery is off, the rear spring is almost off - my tools broke when I tried to get of the upper bolt, so I have to buy some tomorrow....

But it is getting there :D

I found a web sight that have helped me a lot :)

So tomorrow Only thing I have left is to take of the rear spring, and take out the spark plugs so I can turn the rear tire to fint the TDC. And to check put down a skrew driver in the cylinder :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts