Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ready to buy a new bike when i show the new ducati streetfighter...

It was love at first site and i thought what the hell...it is considerably more expensive but i will make some more effort to find the extra money and get it...

Then i started reading reviews and tests and of course i found this super ducati forum!

After reading so many reviews, no one ever wrote that the street-fighter is too powerful and "dangerous" for street use (on the contrary some say speed triple R or other bikes have more torque at low RPM...), but here i read that its for very experienced riders and almost unfriendly at times...

i also read about the low rpm fueling problem...how much of a problem is that and how on earth is it possible not to be found on every single SF and only in some...???

i wanted so bad to get this bike and now i am dazzled...

If i get it i will have it for everyday use and not only for track days or Sunday trips...what is your experience?is it only a bad-tempered powerful track-bike or what its name says??...a "STREET"+fighter that is a very powerful bike that handles good both in traffic and open road situation?

i hope i get some answers from you guys because here in Greece where i live there is practicably no one to ask about this bike, so i am kind of counting on you all! :)

(My previous bike was a kawasaki Z750 tunned with full akrapovic + PCIII and stuff)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Like with any bike, once you ride it for a while, you get comfortable with it. I have no problems riding it in traffic. It has a fairly heavy clutch pull as delivered, which might wear on you in traffic, depending on your arm strength, but this can be reduced with aftermarket slave cylinders. The bike shifts nicely, with little effort. I find the seat comfortable, and the riding position, while less upright than my Super Duke, is comfortable for riding in traffic. Bar risers will probably be available before too long to make the riding position more upright. I have not found the exhaust shield encroachment on the right footpeg to be a big deal, but it bothers some people more; you'll have to see how you find it. There is little radiated heat from the engine or exhaust that you can feel as the rider, so that shouldn't be a problem. The engine cooling system seems to be able to keep up with summer heat in my area, hopefully in Athens as well.
The bottom line is, it is a very powerful bike, a bit unforgiving, but with some familiarity, it is lots of fun to ride, and I think a practical bike in traffic. I don't know about its reliability for daily use; that will have to be determined over time. I also assume you can afford the service costs, which may be higher than you are used to. Give it a test ride if you can, and maybe go for it.
(P.S. I know it will be heresy on this board, but you might also consider the KTM Super Duke, which is a little less powerful, but handles like a dream and is very practical for daily use; I love mine)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much for your reply.

I also thought that, ok it is a very powerful bike but wih some familiarity it wont be a problem...i am riding bikes that are 100 to 120hp like CB1000r and i dont have any problems with them...cb has a bit stiff gearbox when it comes to traffic but it is not a problem...

and how about the low rpm problem?i am very concerned about that...is it that much of a problem as some people say? because all bikes in low rpm some times dont work so smooth, especially if full exhaust systems and some extra ecu like PCIII are installed...

As far as the service costs are concerned, how more often need the desmo engined be re-tunned comperred to a "normal" 4-stroke engine?

thanks alot once again and i hope i get more feedback from all of you that already ride this beauty!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can you get a test ride at your local dealership?

wintermute already went over the basics and I agree with all the points given, the SF is a bike that is easy to ride but should be given high respect for the speeds it can attain quickly. Not only is the engine strong but more importantly the brakes need respect as well - they are very strong!

The superduke is a nice bike, but don't get the superduke R --> very harsh fueling and stiff suspension and seat :eek: I traded mine in for the SF and have been smiling ever since :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't found the low-rpm fueling to be a big problem, as my bike had the factory ECU remap applied even before delivery and was pretty good from the beginning, and I now have just installed the carbon Termi slipons and racing ECU, which makes the bike even smoother. Some people are very bothered by even a little instability of the engine RPM at small throttle openings; maybe I'm less sensitive to this. Again, you have to ride the bike to see how you find it, and you must take note of which exhaust and ECU are installed on the demo bike, so you understand what you are actually experiencing.

The bike needs an oil change at 1000 KM, and then service with valve adjustment at every 12000 KM thereafter, so the service interval is not too frequent. However, the valve adjustment of a desmodromic valve system is labor intensive, so the cost may be higher than on a non-desmo bike in your area. Also, Ducati covers service for a period of time in some markets; obviously I don't know about Greece at this time.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the SuperDuke R was another option i have been thinking of but the lack of a passenger seat made me think again...

i dont see any complaints about the engine not being smooth though...i thought you would all say to me "dont even think about getting it...its a PROBLEM!"

Unfortunatelly there is no bike for a test ride...i can only see it and ofcourse sit on it!!

another question, is the height adjustable? it is a bit tall for me 10-15mm shorter would be nice... i think it is though....

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@wintermute:

unfortunately there is no bike available for test ride....and as they tell me, probably there is never going to be one ever!Thats why i am trying to get as many feedback as possible...The "S" costs about 21.000 euros in greece so i have to check it before buying...

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's too bad about no test rides...

I have the S model and am pretty sure the rear ride hight is adjustable, I'll check when I get home and let you know.

·
Bon Vivant
10,928 Posts
The bike is a beast and is not for new riders but you have some motorcycle experience.
Everybody has to move to the next step at some point, so why not now?

I like my motorcycles to run properly so I personally would not buy one until there is a clear-cut fix for the poor fueling - but many people have no problem with the way the bike operates and are willing to accept Ducati's poor quality. So you need to ride the bike and judge for yourself.

If the dealers won't let you ride it then I personally wouldn't buy it, there are too many known issues to buy it without testing for yourself.

We have two other board members that own streetfighters and live in Athens
Maybe they could help you out?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have two other board members that own streetfighters and live in Athens
Maybe they could help you out?
I agree with you...too many issues to get it without test ride or at least without first asking people that already ride it everyday!!

i didnt know about the other board members from greece!ill check it out!!! thanks alot...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the S model and am pretty sure the rear ride hight is adjustable, I'll check when I get home and let you know.

thanks alot bong, ill be waiting!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any bike is only as fast as YOU turn the throttle...Go get one.
youve got a point!! :) i agree with you! i just read that its too aggressive and the dry clutch not for every day use...i dont think the extra power would be the problem...but maybe the way the motorcycle gets the power at the back wheel! i mean a 4-stroke engine may have 140hp at 10.000 and SF has the torque and much more hp way below 10.000rpm...

To be honest if i hadnt seen the fueling problem i would probably have ordered one by now :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is my 7th duc so the dry clutch is not a big deal to me anymore. Just be sure not to slip too much at starts, get to engagement and off the clutch quickly and smoothly.

Yes the fueling issue is present in some/many SF's and it's too bad you can't test ride the one you want to buy. Maybe get in writing that you can return the bike if it has surging/stalling issue?

The bike is worth it, very fun to ride!!!!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was wondering...maybe this fueling problem is just present in the US version of the new SF...i havent heard anywhere else about this problem...do yo think that this is possible?

i meen US and EU version of bikes are always different in some things, espessially when it comes to emission controls...

Is there anyone from europe with this problem writing here??

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
As far as I know all SFs are done in euro3 tuning emissions. I do recall blackie having the same issues with his.

I'll be honest, if I couldn't find someone with an sf to test ride I absolutely wouldn't buy it. Some of the buyers (me included are very happy with their bikes fueling issues notwithstanding) BUT an awful lot of buyers are not happy with their bikes because of it.

Would I rather my bike had smooth fueling all the way thru the powerband, you bet, but having similar issues with other twins in my past, it's not a huge issue for me, and perhaps mine is not as bad as some of the others.

I do think long term it's going to adversely affect sales on the SF because Ducati doesn't seem to be able to fully sort it. Long time duc riders might be willing to deal with it, but Ducati is trying to attract inline 4 japanese bike riders and as it stands now seems unlikely this will be successful.

Chris

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i cant get it...how is it possible that ducati cant sort it out and fix it...and how is it possible that they even sell this bike having such a problem...

i hope i find a bike to judge for my self because i can count on being lucky and go for it with 60-70% possibility to have this problem...

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I love my SF on the open road, but I wouldn't recommend it as a commuter...the low rpm fueling makes it a real pain to ride in heavy traffic on a hot day...

·
Registered
736 Posts
I love my SFS and have no fueling issues, however I do not use it as a commuter, mainly because the bike is not designed to go slow and it likes to be above 5 grand and the power really comes on at 8grand. 5 grand in 2nd gear is about 50 mph and even that is above city speed limits. Also, you only get about 40mpg, so there are plenty of other bikes that get better mileage and won't tempt you to go too fast. Buying this bike as a commuter is really wasting its potential.

I still ride my ZRX1200 to work. It's smooth and torquey at 2500rpms and powerful. I ride my SFS on the weekends on country roads where I can open her up and let her breathe and it is a fantastic go fast bike, about 140lbs lighter than my ZRX.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
cts - on the forum the consensus I think seems to be the fueling is a result of the euro 3 (SP?) tuning for emissions, if I'm not mistaken this is the first time ducati has used this tuning and that would make it for a model year 2010 bike.

But they clearly will have a problem with having satisfied customers if this will be the situation going forward.

No way I would consider this a daily commuter bike, my aprilia's too good in that role.

Chris

1 - 20 of 92 Posts