Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bike in a dealership, from a collector. triple says 996s, as does tail, but side fairings have just 996, no S. Also front forks are Showa. Is this legit on a 2000 model year 996s? Also, cans look like CF Termi's, but no sticker.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bike in a dealership, from a collector. triple says 996s, as does tail, but side fairings have just 996, no S. Also front forks are Showa. Is this legit on a 2000 model year 996s? Also, cans look like CF Termi's, but no sticker.
Could be wrong, but I believe the S is the suffix for the entry/base model, so a regular 996 should be an S. The base should come with Showas, not Ohlins. Example: I have a 748L, but the frame says S. This is because the Neiman-Marcus bikes were built off the basic 748 biposto, only with Mercury Silver paint and carbon fiber bits and what-nots.

As for the Termignonis, it is impossible to tell off of the information provided. I have some cf cans on my 1997 which look similar (only with curved tips, no straight, rolled tips.) Termis come with foil stickers, and many people do take them off.... just a matter of preference. I left them on my 1998, but many do not. If the price is right, I'd say go for it- but I would be much more concerned with mileage, condition, and service records, than anything. If the belts are in need of replacement, for example, then you are looking at around $600.00, or so (having it done for you). If it is from a collector, it is possible that the belts are old (past the two year mark), and will need to be changed. 996's are great bikes, though. I would be very tempted, if the deal was good.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
vin#.

if you have the vin enter it here.it verifies my 2k 996 is an S model.Showa forks,Ohlins steering dampner,Ohlins rear shock,numbered upper fork tag,with carbon-f.fender,undertail,tail light mounting,airbox,lower fairing "V".2001 "S" came with Ohlin forks. no "S" on the side fairing only on the seat.believe only 200 sold in the US for 1999 & 2000. Ducati VIN Decoder, Lookup and Ducati VIN Check

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have always wondered how to tell the difference in these 996 bikes between S models and non. Swapping of the fairings have become so prevalent it’s confusing, does any of the body work have identifying marking to tell? Just wondering

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have always wondered how to tell the difference in these 996 bikes between S models and non. Swapping of the fairings have become so prevalent it’s confusing, does any of the body work have identifying marking to tell? Just wondering
Tail is white and has S badging. Front fairing Red without white plate. I was mostly expecting S badging on the sides. after doing a lot of image searching, looks like this was the norm, so I'm less worried. Personally, I'm not concerend, but I know myself, and if I buy, I'll probably get the itch to sell it in 5 years, and then the things that don't bother me will suddenly become a problem for someone else...

·
Registered
364 Posts
if you have the vin enter it here.it verifies my 2k 996 is an S model.Showa forks,Ohlins steering dampner,Ohlins rear shock,numbered upper fork tag,with carbon-f.fender,undertail,tail light mounting,airbox,lower fairing "V".2001 "S" came with Ohlin forks. no "S" on the side fairing only on the seat.believe only 200 sold in the US for 1999 & 2000. Ducati VIN Decoder, Lookup and Ducati VIN Check
This.

As described, it sounds like a S, pics would help though. The triple should have a riveted plaque the says “Ducati 996s” under it it was say xxx number for the numbered series.

No “S” on the side faring. Just 996.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Mine (2000 996) shows up as an S with that Vin check, but I don't have a plaque on my triple at all.
It looks like every base 996 you put in there shows up as an S. So I don't think that's correct.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys, I'm pretty confident that the bike is legit. Having the shop check the rocker arms, do belts, check common seals, etc for drying cracking since bike has been stored. New tires, Anything else to watch for on the 996's? I am wrench capable, will probably train up for the belts maintenance and do that myself in the future, but I suck at electrical, and don't want to mess with clutch or engine internals. I'll leave that to the pros.

Again, thanks for all the help and good advice!

Tom

·
Registered
364 Posts
Add: Check rear hub bushing/bearings and Cush drives.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts