Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some Streetfighters are great out of the box, others run lousy in the 2-4k rpm range...some improve with the installation of the Termi kit and others run the same...

Is Ducati quality control that bad, or is it a variance in perception by the operators?

Another question, who's ridden an SF that was smooth a low rpms and another with the same setup that ran poorly?

Just curious...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Some Streetfighters are great out of the box, others run lousy in the 2-4k rpm range...some improve with the installation of the Termi kit and others run the same...

Is Ducati quality control that bad, or is it a variance in perception by the operators?

Another question, who's ridden an SF that was smooth a low rpms and another with the same setup that ran poorly?

Just curious...
When I first test rode the demo, it was perfect. I was stuck in traffic for a while and it was super smooth. No Termi, just stock S. The dealer did, after I bought mine and complained admit that they had to tune the demo to get it right. So why was mine "untunable?" Mine was TERRIBLE when I picked it up. I took it back after driving 2 miles from the dealer. They did the TPS thing and it was better but still real bad. After the remap and front sprocket it is way better! Still some slight stumbling in "stop in go" in the dreaded 2k-4k range but only constant stop and go is it really noticeable.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I rode Bongs before he bought it prior to the termi half system being fitted. I thought I had run out of fuel at one stage it stuttered so badly.... he says it is fine now...
Rode another Demo that had fueling issues causing rough running as well.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thats was PRIOR to the installation of the Termis... so this is a case where the Termis have "fixed" the problem.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just got home from a 440 mile ride thru the mountains, I purposely tried riding in the 2.5-3.5K rpm range at constant throttle.....not a hiccup and smooth as butter!

Like Andrey said he test rode my bike before the termi's were fitted and it stuttered at one point. I bought it after the termi's were on and have found it to be perfect and now at 2100 miles she gets better and better.

Hope those with fueling issues get it sorted soon, this is a FUN bike to ride :)

BigLebowski65 - you're welcome to ride mine and see if your story matches mine ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
....BigLebowski65 - you're welcome to ride mine and see if your story matches mine ;)

That's really nice of you to offer....too long of a trip for me.
May be you and TheDucnut could get together, so he can share with the rest of us the level of improvement of your bike, just to show to the skeptics there is "a light at the end of the tunnel" and it is possible to have a perfectly run Streetfighter.
I, for one, would be very grateful.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Guys, the (as well as my 1098) 1098 does not like to be below 4K. This is a naked 1098 so just down shift! All the guys I know who ride 1098s ride above 4K because of this. They are not perfect, they are Ducatis.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, the (as well as my 1098) 1098 does not like to be below 4K. This is a naked 1098 so just down shift! All the guys I know who ride 1098s ride above 4K because of this. They are not perfect, they are Ducatis.
A couple of us had the misconception that since it was called Streetfighter, that it would be suitable for riding on the street at legal speeds in a gear other than first...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I first test rode the demo, it was perfect. I was stuck in traffic for a while and it was super smooth. No Termi, just stock S. The dealer did, after I bought mine and complained admit that they had to tune the demo to get it right. So why was mine "untunable?" Mine was TERRIBLE when I picked it up. I took it back after driving 2 miles from the dealer. They did the TPS thing and it was better but still real bad. After the remap and front sprocket it is way better! Still some slight stumbling in "stop in go" in the dreaded 2k-4k range but only constant stop and go is it really noticeable.
Did they try balancing the throttle bodies? i

·
Registered
511 Posts
I test rode a stocker at Beverly Hill Ducati a while back and it seemed smooth enough, yesterday I test rode one at San Luis Obispo Vespa (!!!) Ducati and it seemed to have very abrupt throttle response down low, it had, I believe, Termi slipons, and they guy there didn't know if it had been chipped or not, or reprogrammed. They are part of Ducati of Santa Barbara, so maybe I should check with those guys and see.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Yeh ok, I owned a '08 1098S before I bought my Streetfighter. You have obviously never ridden one after reading your post. My 1098S was way way smoother and controllable at low RPM as is my current 2009 848. MY StreetFighter on the other hand is a handful at low RPM and I cannot relax at all on this bike under 4K rpm. It sucks and it's not at all what I expected after owning 4 Ducati's.

·
Bon Vivant
11,417 Posts
My 1098 is much better than my streetfighter - the streetfighter is smoother but my 1098 runs correctly - the streetfighter does not. :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
A couple of us had the misconception that since it was called Streetfighter, that it would be suitable for riding on the street at legal speeds in a gear other than first...:rolleyes:
Exactly the Point. I have the same issue with my M1100S and have been told live with it, they all do it. TPS set made it better but its still there just not so severe, some days its like I am running out of fuel.
Waiting for a response from Ducati UK.

·
Registered
228 Posts
till I read the threads I was heading off to buy a SF, but I just put my check book back in my pocket, I run a Hypermotard, and just sold a KTM superduke R, -because of bad fueling, dealer said, fit Akro's that will sort it, a new map-that will sort it, ahh, a power commander-that will sort it, all bull sh1t, it must be that all modern sports bikes, but v twins probably suffer worse than others, just become cwap in meeting emision laws, so no streetfighter for me at the moment, sticking with my old fashioned, air cooled, smooth a silk, good looking, heaps of fun Hyper, sorry

·
Registered
262 Posts
till I read the threads I was heading off to buy a SF, but I just put my check book back in my pocket, I run a Hypermotard, and just sold a KTM superduke R, -because of bad fueling, dealer said, fit Akro's that will sort it, a new map-that will sort it, ahh, a power commander-that will sort it, all bull sh1t, it must be that all modern sports bikes, but v twins probably suffer worse than others, just become cwap in meeting emision laws, so no streetfighter for me at the moment, sticking with my old fashioned, air cooled, smooth a silk, good looking, heaps of fun Hyper, sorry
That's fine if you're happy with the Hyper. I also had a Superduke R with Akro's and it had terrible fueling - If you're really interested in the SF then try to get a demo ride at your dealership. Then decide whether or not to buy one...it's too nice a bike NOT to buy one based on what you read on the internet. Mine runs perfectly with Termi slip ons and there are many others that don't have fueling issues.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nothing personal bong but I won't believe this till I see it for myself :cool:
C'mon man...out of ALL the bikes out there do you really think mine is the only one that runs correctly?

This is deja vu two years ago when the 1098 came out - mine ran perfectly (with stock pipes and full system) and many people on the boards/forums complained of stalling and fueling issues. I seriously doubt there are more bad running vs good running SFs out there.

I can't wait to let Andrey give my SF a go to get his perspective, he can vouch for a proper running SF :)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
C'mon man...out of ALL the bikes out there do you really think mine is the only one that runs correctly?

This is deja vu two years ago when the 1098 came out - mine ran perfectly (with stock pipes and full system) and many people on the boards/forums complained of stalling and fueling issues. I seriously doubt there are more bad running vs good running SFs out there.

I can't wait to let Andrey give my SF a go to get his perspective, he can vouch for a proper running SF :)

Maybe it's the climate and/or gas in Seattle...:D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts