Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the discussion about forks I have a few questions about your Ohlins kit.
1 Is it a straight install that needs no modification of any kind?

2 Can it be tranfered to another bike , say like a streetfighter or multi later on and what is involved in doing this? And what needs to be brought to do this?

3 Are all the parts in the kit to do the install?

4 Are they the 25mm kit and what model kit is it?

5 Do you supply the correct springs for the riders weight.

Thanks for your help and I hope this answeers a few questions for people:eek:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Öhlins kit

1) Yes, is a straight install, no machining required.
2) Should work on any of the similar Marzocci's
3) Yes, the kit was designed at Öhlins USA by Thermosman.
4) Yes, is a lengthened FGK138 kit. Same kit the AMA Supersport guys are using so there is a lot of info and development in them. Very tunable.
5) Yes, will use a lighter spring for your weight than if on a forward weight biased sportbike.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=75176&highlight=Ducshop+Hyper+Ohlins&page=2
The first photo is the cap design and the second photo is the standard FGK138 going in some 848 Showa's but looks the same sans the cap. The only kit I have is in my Hyper and forgot to get a photo before install.
With all the discussion about forks I have a few questions about your Ohlins kit.

1 Is it a straight install that needs no modification of any kind?

2 Can it be tranfered to another bike , say like a streetfighter or multi later on and what is involved in doing this? And what needs to be brought to do this?

3 Are all the parts in the kit to do the install?

4 Are they the 25mm kit and what model kit is it?

5 Do you supply the correct springs for the riders weight.

Thanks for your help and I hope this answeers a few questions for people:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) Yes, is a straight install, no machining required.
2) Should work on any of the similar Marzocci's
3) Yes, the kit was designed at Öhlins USA by Thermosman.
4) Yes, is a lengthened FGK138 kit. Same kit the AMA Supersport guys are using so there is a lot of info and development in them. Very tunable.
5) Yes, will use a lighter spring for your weight than if on a forward weight biased sportbike.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=75176&highlight=Ducshop+Hyper+Ohlins&page=2
The first photo is the cap design and the second photo is the standard FGK138 going in some 848 Showa's but looks the same sans the cap. The only kit I have is in my Hyper and forgot to get a photo before install.
Thanks for the reply,
What I dont understand is if say the hyper kit was to be put into say a 1098, what additional pieces need to be brought to make this kit work.
And are these pieces off the shelf items?:think:

·
Registered
680 Posts
No problem, am sure it could be coverted back if you really wanted but I dont have a "list of parts" but the 1098 would use off the shelf parts, yes. It would be easier to transfer a 1098 kit to any other sportbike because of the stroke, but in all my years no customer has ever done that, we are offering an Öhlins factory kit for any Hypermotard with Marzocchi's.
Thanks for the reply,
What I dont understand is if say the hyper kit was to be put into say a 1098, what additional pieces need to be brought to make this kit work.
And are these pieces off the shelf items?:think:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well you guys are opening up questions for me... Okay say the Hyper is supposed to have the 6.5 inches of travel we are told it should have. But I don't know of anyone getting that 6.5 inches... my zip tie on the fork leg maxes at about 4.75" and that is under major braking....

But what if I don't care about the 6.5 inches of travel and would be fine with the 5 inches of travel like a regular sport bike or 1098... Could I just put the regular FGK 138 kit in, OR is it because the fork tubes are longer on these forks that you have to lengthen the kit...

My reasoning is that I"m not using anywhere near 6.5 inches of travel on my forks during my track days or regular riding, plus I don't want 6 inches since I'm not riding super rough roads. Also I don't feel I need 6.5 inches available during my track riding...My main concern is eliminating the dramatic dive on initial braking, and better feel.... not having max travel.. so could I just put a standard kit in?

·
Registered
680 Posts
In a word..no. It needs the length to fit the fork and the cap is special for the Marzocchi's.

Well you guys are opening up questions for me... Okay say the Hyper is supposed to have the 6.5 inches of travel we are told it should have. But I don't know of anyone getting that 6.5 inches... my zip tie on the fork leg maxes at about 4.75" and that is under major braking....

But what if I don't care about the 6.5 inches of travel and would be fine with the 5 inches of travel like a regular sport bike or 1098... Could I just put the regular FGK 138 kit in, OR is it because the fork tubes are longer on these forks that you have to lengthen the kit...

My reasoning is that I"m not using anywhere near 6.5 inches of travel on my forks during my track days or regular riding, plus I don't want 6 inches since I'm not riding super rough roads. Also I don't feel I need 6.5 inches available during my track riding...My main concern is eliminating the dramatic dive on initial braking, and better feel.... not having max travel.. so could I just put a standard kit in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts