Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I picked up my '98 ST2 on Saturday and I got the DP ECU I got from eBay. By the time I get home from work there will be under half a tank of gas, so I'm planning on dremmeling the top of the airbox and putting the ECU in. The bike already has FBF carbon cans on it.

I just wanted to make sure I understood the ECU swap. From searching around, it looks as simple as cutting the sticker, pulling the plug, pulling the ECU, pushing the new one in place, replacing the plug and taping back over the plug with some racer tape. Does that seem about right to all of you?

I don't think it has an aftermarket ECU now as the PO didn't mention anything when he sold it to me and I mentioned putting a DP ECU in soon. Is there any way of identifying the current ECU, though? The DP one I got doesn't have any markings other than a sticker with a handwritten number on it.

Anything to watch out for? I'll be sure to ground myself before mucking with anything.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yup, you've got it right. Just make sure you notice which end of the chip has got the notch in it and put the new one in the same way round, otherwise you'll break it when you switch the ignition on.

Mark.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I did it right as she started up after.:)

I'll have to take her for a shakedown later today.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
ST2s don't have DP ECUs, just DP (or other) chips that go into a socket inside the ECU!

OK, re-reading your post, you have replaced the chip (and not the ECU). What is written on the old, and new, chips (numbers, etc.)?

I have 4, so if any of the numbers are they same, I can let you know.

Tom

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ST2s don't have DP ECUs, just DP (or other) chips that go into a socket inside the ECU!

OK, re-reading your post, you have replaced the chip (and not the ECU). What is written on the old, and new, chips (numbers, etc.)?

I have 4, so if any of the numbers are they same, I can let you know.

Tom
Thanks, for correcting my terminology. I'll check the numbers when I'm back home. The one that I took out of the ECU had a printed label on it with a couple of characters and then 4-6 numbers IIRC. As I said, the DP one I got had a label with about 10 numbers written in blue ballpoint pen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts