Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up a 2007 s4rs from a dealer (it will be my first duc!!!) with 3200kms. It has a full Zard exhaust on it. Now here's the problem, I have no idea what the previous owner did when he put on the exhaust... was it just bolted on with stock ecu, did he get a dp ecu or did he custom tune it with a pciii (or a combination)? No clue. (I've asked the dealer to chk to see if there is a powercommander, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet).

So here's the question, is anyone out there riding an s4rs with full Zard on stock ecu? And more importantly, is this harmful to the engine?

I want to buy this bike, but I'm a little hesitant bc I don't know what kind of modification was done to it (if any).

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Tks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a full zard system on my 04 S4R with a stock ECU. Runs like a champ. A small amount of popping every once and a while but other than that no issues. I have just about 12K on it. Only issue I have with the zard system is the lack of a heat shield. My boots now have a big melted spot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a full zard system on my 04 S4R with a stock ECU. Runs like a champ. A small amount of popping every once and a while but other than that no issues. I have just about 12K on it. Only issue I have with the zard system is the lack of a heat shield. My boots now have a big melted spot.
Sweet. Thanks for the input! Popping I don't mind at all!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sweet. Thanks for the input! Popping I don't mind at all!!
this is sort of a big deal. sounds like the dealer is weak?? a longer test ride will tell you if you have decel or stalling issues. no way to know about fuel economy until it's yours, i suppose.

any warranty being offered??

i hope you are getting a great price :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey n4s,

i have an 07 s4rs with full termi exhaust, dp ecu, power commander, and open air box. some guys will run the full system with the stock ecu but you run the risk of the bike running lean. the stock ecu cannot be tuned and you cannot use a power commander with the stock ecu.

first, check which ecu is installed. remove the seat, lift up the tank and beside the battery there is a small rectangular box. this is the ecu...the dp is red, stock is black. if its the unit is black then i would have the tech look at the plugs. this will give you a good indication of how the bike is running. if you have a red unit, look for wires coming off the battery. these would be power leads for the power commander. the power commander would be mounted on the left side behind the carbon fiber cover.

let me know if you need any more info.

-j

·
Registered
9 Posts
also, an 04 sr4 and 07 s4rs have different motors. from what i understand, the older s4r had more tuning capacity with the stock ecu because the emissions controls were different.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I'll check that out. Just as an fyi, this isn't a duc dealer (unfortunately).. its some cruiser dealer that has an s4rs from a trade in, so they don't know anything about ducs. I'm getting them to send it to a duc dealer to get it checked out. Anything in particular i shld have the duc techs look at other than ecu, etc.? tks again for the advice. much appreciated!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am yet another owner of a 07 S4Rs with a full Zard system. My first experience as I bolted it on was not good. It was not smooth and certainly not the same performance as the stock exhaust. Anyway, I then purchased the DP Racing ECU to remove the O2 sensor and open up the mapping. Next was the Power Commander III with custom map. The final result was 123hp at the rear wheel and a very nice power curve with no issues.

Good luck with the purchase...you will not regret it... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I had the local duc dealer check out the bike and it does not have the dp ecu/pciii... just the stock ecu. I test rode it and it seemed to ride smooth with no noticeable backfiring. The dealer said that it was a touch lean at 3500rpm but that it shouldn't be an issue. Based on this (and the fact that it was a good deal), I ended up purchasing my very first ducati!!!! :) Thks for all your advice. It was very helpful!! Can't believe how sweet the s4rs is.. I rode it home today and still have a smile on my face. I think next season I will either put a shorty termi on it or go the dp ecu/pciii path and get it custom tuned. tks again!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts