Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just found myself a yellow '02 998 and happy to be the proud owner of a ducati superbike once again. the 749 was fun and i do love my gt, but ever since my 748 was stolen i haven't been able to get the '02 body out of my mind. needless to say, to say i'm excited would be putting it mildly. i goddam love the look of this machine.

no pictures to post as of yet. the fuel line was leaking at the black plastic qd, and i'm awaiting replacement parts before getting her dolled up for the camera.

unfortunately my new 998 has stock cans, and i'm looking to upgrade to a better set of termis. coming off of a 748/749, i'm pretty ignorant to what will fit the 998, which diameters pertain to which models, and which kits come with dp ecu's (and if i even need them) though i do remember a lot of talk about deep sumps and fitting around cases back then. it seems to me like there are a ton of options, and people modded up even a few more.

so i've figured out my base 998 has the regular sump, and to stay away from 998s and 998r pipes. as for 998 sets, i'm looking at a few used ones but can't tell if they are complete sets as i am having a hard time researching what came with which kits. also i would like to know what's the best street termi set-up for the 998.

so any chance someone here could give me the quick run down of my options for termi's, or point me to whatever thread i've someone missed in my searches?

·
Registered
961 Posts
DP Full 50mm system or 50mm half system that has a 50mm/45mm midpipe. Both can be found new if you search and both can come with DP ECU. There are quite a few other manufacturers, Arrow, FBF etc. Half syetem is the most economical way obviously. I believe even a stock US version 998 would be happier with a full system, but so would any bike.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I believe (have read) you may lose a little of the low end grunt in favor of top end if you do a full system. Watch the classifieds here or post a WTB in the classifieds here. I see 998 pipes show up on occasion. If you are not in a hurry you can get a great set at a great price. I have the half system Termis in TI with the 996r DP ECU. Very happy with the pipe but I have been considering going to a Nemesis ECU.

t_bare

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like half system will suit me fine.

if i can get cans (only) cheap, whats the next step? flash a 749/999 ecu? maybe $100 for an ecu, then ?? to flash it?

and the more i read it seems as though the mid-pipe may be the tough piece of the puzzle to find. these buggers expensive?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Maybe a DP 998 map would be better suited.
The 996r ECU is the unit that came with the pipes. Is there a better "off the shelf" map available? Bike has 1/2 system and S-Cams.

t_bare

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 996r ECU is the unit that came with the pipes. Is there a better "off the shelf" map available? Bike has 1/2 system and S-Cams.

t_bare
This is correct. As far as I am aware there was no other DP ECU for the base 998. The 996R ECU was sold with the Termi upgrade.

That being said, I personally prefer the sound of the Arrows on a 998, so that is what I have on mine:D

·
Registered
961 Posts
sounds like half system will suit me fine.

if i can get cans (only) cheap, whats the next step? flash a 749/999 ecu? maybe $100 for an ecu, then ?? to flash it?

and the more i read it seems as though the mid-pipe may be the tough piece of the puzzle to find. these buggers expensive?

50mm cans come with the tail pipe and need the 50mm/45mm midpipe. You can find a half system OR just the midpipe on fleabay.

Most 749/999 ECU's do not work on a 998 as the HW code is different. You need HW010, Most(maybe all) 749/999 ECU's are HW 910.

I have a ECU from a Euro 998s if you want it which has bigger cams than the US version and would be worth trying on your bike if you upgrade the exhaust or you could just get it re-flashed if it's not a good match. I believe Motowheels, a site sponsor here, have a $200 flashing special on and have access to many maps. Cheers.

·
Registered
961 Posts

t_bare
Many 998 ECU's had "996r" on them even though they don't have the 996r map installed. Is it a DP ECU? Does it have a number ending in "B" on it?

What "s" cams are they? Euro version? There are no US version "s" cams. The US "s" version had base model cams.

The guys that do re-flashing will have access to a map to suit your engine configuration.

If it has Euro version "s" cams and a 50mm half system a "real" 996r ECU would suit. A "real" 996r DP ECU would be better.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Many 998 ECU's had "996r" on them even though they don't have the 996r map installed. Is it a DP ECU? Does it have a number ending in "B" on it?

What "s" cams are they? Euro version? There are no US version "s" cams. The US "s" version had base model cams.

The guys that do re-flashing will have access to a map to suit your engine configuration.

If it has Euro version "s" cams and a 50mm half system a "real" 996r ECU would suit. A "real" 996r DP ECU would be better.
It is the DP "B" ECU and the S-Cams are from a later model 999s.

Bike runs very well, I have been tweaking the trim to achieve balance between slight surging around 4000rpm and being rich elsewhere in the range. Trim is set at 20 but I keep going back and forth between 18 - 21 trying to find the best balance without buying a Nemesis.

Thanks,
t_bare

·
Registered
961 Posts
A full system would probably help. i have a 54mm full system and a DP ECU for a Euro 998s with 54mm system on my Euro 998s and it is a great match.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DP Full 50mm system or 50mm half system that has a 50mm/45mm midpipe. Both can be found new if you search and both can come with DP ECU.
i did some heavy googling and wasn't able to turn up any new half-system kits. any chance you remember which place you saw them at? did you mean in the classifieds here or on the sites for the shops themselves?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
50mm cans come with the tail pipe and need the 50mm/45mm midpipe. You can find a half system OR just the midpipe on fleabay.

Most 749/999 ECU's do not work on a 998 as the HW code is different. You need HW010, Most(maybe all) 749/999 ECU's are HW 910.

I have a ECU from a Euro 998s if you want it which has bigger cams than the US version and would be worth trying on your bike if you upgrade the exhaust or you could just get it re-flashed if it's not a good match. I believe Motowheels, a site sponsor here, have a $200 flashing special on and have access to many maps. Cheers.
i may take ya up on that. i'm going to try for a new (or like new) kit first, and then break down and scrounge parts and do the reflash if necessary.

i was able to score a set of carbon termis that someone already altered at the end. it looks like they changed the cans where they meet the midpipe so as to step down from 50 to 45mm at the can/mid pipe juncture. they look a bit ratty, and im wondering how much having the 45/50mm changeover further downstream in the exhaust system will really make a difference. but they were cheap, and if i can scrub em down, i may give them a try.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i did some heavy googling and wasn't able to turn up any new half-system kits. any chance you remember which place you saw them at? did you mean in the classifieds here or on the sites for the shops themselves?
New ones come up on Ebay periodically. Not a see and buy right now thing, need to be patient.
Used ones come up on Ebay more often than new.
How about this one?

Ducati Performance Termignoni 45/50 system for 748 916 996 998 | eBay

I remember one of our site sponsors said they can still get them by special order but they are not advertised. Motowheels?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts