Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just fitted a used but good condition sidestand to my 1978 900 GTS. It's a hard to find component. The bracket attaches as it should. The actual arm appears too long, and doesn't clear the ground unless you lean the bike way over to the right side. Once down, the arm is so long it keeps the bike about 5 degrees beyond vertical, canted to the right. Obviously useless as a sidestand. Or anything else.

The rims are stock dimension, the frame and forks are stock, no other mods that would change the height or stance of the bike. The stand fits as it should on the frame and the arm is not bent. Are there different sizes of Ducati sidestands for this era? I doubt it. I am guessing the arm itself is at least an inch too long. Anyone have any thoughts, experience? I can't believe this is the way these side stands were designed to work.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I believe that the round case bikes had a different side stand than the square case models. Unsure about the differences and although they look the same I'm pretty sure they have different part numbers. I have one somewhere in my parts boxes that I believe is for a square case and my bike is a round case. I've never tried to fit it on my bike. If you measure the length of the arm on yours I will dig mine out and tell you if they are the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not be surprised if the round case models had a different side stand- I bought this from a guy who took it off the same bike as mine, so that shouldn't be the issue. I measured from the center of the arm pivot bolt to the bottom of the arm where it touches the ground: 10 1/2 inches Picture attached below. The angle makes it hard to read the ruler but it's 10 1/2

( I have a 73 and a 74 Commando- no side stand issues there....)

Thanks for your help.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I apologize for taking so long to get back to you NortonComm. We've had workmen at the house all week and keeping an eye on them to be sure that "That's good enough" doesn't happen too often has kept me occupied. We also moved halfway across the country since the last time I saw this so finding it took a while. Here's a picture of mine freshly powder coated and never installed side stand. From the pivot bolt to the bottom of the foot is 9 1/2". If this isn't what you're after measurement wise let me know. Now that I've found it it's easy for me to measure.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been through the house repair wringer myself so I feel your pain- no worries. ( It's especially annoying to pay a "craftsman" to do something you could do better yourself, just by paying attention....)

Your pictures are perfect- exactly how I measured mine, and it seems my arm is an inch longer at 10 1/2. Just eyeballing mine on the bike, I would have guessed it was an inch too long. Crap. Seems Ducati made two different sizes for the GTS 900s.... either that or the guy who sold me this one got it wrong and it is in fact for the earlier round case models.

I'll get back in touch and see if he'll take it back. What are your plans for yours, by the way? For sale?

Thanks again for your help,

Paul

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I was thinking of my plans for it and all the other "stuff" in the 2 big plastic storage tubs of parts I accululated while I was tryting to gather enough parts to make my basket bike into a rideable bike. I always thought this side stand was for a square case so I never tried to install it thinking it was too long and wouldn't fit. Having a side stand would be a nice feature... I only bought it because it was a real bevel part and it was available and it was (almost) affordable. Let me look into fitting it and I'll let you know if I can part with it.

It looks like yours is 2-ish inches long on the part below the deployment lever whereas mine is 1 1/4-ish inches there so perhaps yours could be cut shorter and welded back together to make it work? They so rarely come up for sale that finding the right one could take years and cutting yours might be the most expedient way to get a working stand. Just a thought.

Terry

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
After looking more closely at yours it should be an easy 1/2 hour job for a competent welder to cut a little off the bottom and fabricate then weld on a new and perhaps slightly larger "foot" that wouldn't sink into hot tarmac or dirt.
I'm not sure that I have the long mounting bolt to mount mine. More digging through the parts boxes...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts