Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Y'all,

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks learning more about Ducatis in general. Today I spotted an ad from a local dealer offering an 05 Supersport 800 with under 5K miles for $6600 US. This seems low. Is there an issue with this particular year/model that makes it less valuable than others, or is this a reasonable price. The ad also mentions the bike as "clean, never down", and this dealer has a good rep in our area.
JR

Edit: I looked into the original MSRP (9K) and compared this price to others. Doesn't seem low now. Still wondering if you think it's a reasonable price. Thanks

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
I bought my 05 800ss last year in Feb for $5600. It had 6700k on it and had the belt change/valve adjustment done. I really think that price is high. Don't get me wrong, it's a good bike, but the 'Supersport' market right now, is not bringing good prices. 'Superbikes'.....okay.....but 'supersports', and other models, are lagging right now. In my opine, if you were a bit patient, you could find the same deal for about 2k less. I hope I wasn't a downer. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I looked at the bike today, and found your opinion as to the market for these bikes very helpful when one of the sales staff tried to tell me this bike is very much in demand. Excuse my ignorance of things Desmo, but what belts need replacement?
I may go back with my gear for a test ride later this weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. After I saw your reply I searched the forum for "belt replacement" and "tank implosion" (I guess I'm kinda doing this bass-ackwards). Plenty of info on those subjects. The belt replacement job looks do-able to me after viewing the ducatisuite instructions, and I can certainly check to see if the tank vent tube is squeezed shut. I would probably remove the evap canister (I'm in California, so this bike will definitely have one) if I bought this machine, but would be inclined to leave future valve adjustments to an indy mechanic or possibly the dealer if the price was not out of line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts