Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy gang,
In advance of picking up my new to me 1,600 mile 05' ST3 and riding it all around the South/South East I've got a couple of questions. How comfortable is the stock seat, and how good were the stock tires? I'm assuming the original owner didn't put new shoes on her as he only took it out for a country cruise once a month or so. I have not been able to track down info on what the stock tires were for the 2005 ST3, there was a reference in one thread about Metzlers. Does anyone recall what was the original tires were, and how they performed generally? In the past I've always upgrade stock seat to Corbin, Saddleman, or Sergeant. But it seems like a lot of people like the stock seat just fine, if not more than the custom replacements. Cheers and thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
Good luck with the purchase!

The stock seat of that year was more comfortable than earlier models. I switch between the OEM and my Corbin...you should be fine. The original tires? They were fine, but...we're talking tires that are 13 years old! The rubber will be hard and slippery...get rid of them! I'd be really careful with the old tires! That's also a long time for the timing belts. I'd get them swapped out too. Flush all the fluids...clutch, brakes, coolant, oil. Then...have fun riding!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
In 13 years tyres have moved on compound and design wise. I would be looking at what the latest technology is and not what was on the bike new

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck with the purchase!

The stock seat of that year was more comfortable than earlier models. I switch between the OEM and my Corbin...you should be fine. The original tires? They were fine, but...we're talking tires that are 13 years old! The rubber will be hard and slippery...get rid of them! I'd be really careful with the old tires! That's also a long time for the timing belts. I'd get them swapped out too. Flush all the fluids...clutch, brakes, coolant, oil. Then...have fun riding!
That's what I was thinking in regards to tires also. I've heard good reports for the Road Pilot 4's for this bike so that's the way I'm leaning (no pun intended). I'm still trying to find out about what maintenance was done on the bike, as so far all I've heard was "all scheduled maintenance has been followed" which would imply that the belts would have been changed every 2 years. And fluids would have been flushed as well. What should I expect to pay for replacing the belts if it hasn't been done in the past 2 years?

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
Hopefully the maintenance was done as you stated. However, I'd be surprised if he means "time," more likely: distance. So the bike hasn't had it's first valve clearance service and the belts probably were not changed.

If you're inclined to do some shade tree mechanics, you will save yourself some money. Even if you don't...I highly recommend LT Snyder's service manual on the desmotres, ( Desmo Times Home Page ) well worth the money. Swapping out the belts will probably take a dealer about two hours (with removal of body work, battery, etc.) so you figure $200 to $300 for labor. The OEM belts will run about $150.

I've been running the Pilot Road 4's (and 3's before the 4's came out). I have no complaints. Great handling, fantastic wet weather grip. Very good tread life.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i couldn't remember what tyres they had, but a look in the 2005 manual shows a pic with pilot roads. 2006 shows the same and maybe the sharp pointed pirelli pattern, forget what they were back then - diablo strada?

better tyres in the modern version of either.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
My 2003 came with the original Pilot Roads. Back tire wasn't horrible, but I had no confidence in the front. I can't imagine if they were sill the OEM supplied tires in 2005 that they would be any better after sitting all this time. There are so many fantastic modern tires out there, it's just not worth suffering through old tires. I am using Angel ST, still offered but superseded by the GT, and they feel so good I actually considered putting them on the 916. Hard to believe they are considered Sport Touring tires, especially thinking back to how those original Pilot Roads felt to me.

Reactions: wineguy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2003 came with the original Pilot Roads. Back tire wasn't horrible, but I had no confidence in the front. I can't imagine if they were sill the OEM supplied tires in 2005 that they would be any better after sitting all this time. There are so many fantastic modern tires out there, it's just not worth suffering through old tires. I am using Angel ST, still offered but superseded by the GT, and they feel so good I actually considered putting them on the 916. Hard to believe they are considered Sport Touring tires, especially thinking back to how those original Pilot Roads felt to me.
How would you assess their wet weather performance?

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Original Pilot roads or the current Angel ST?

Pilot Roads were on the bike when I got it in 2005. I was a daily commuter. I can't really remember the wet riding specifics, but when commuting in south east Virginia where I was living at the time you can get some crazy downpours and nasty storms in the afternoon. Was caught in them many times. I didn't crash, so they weren't dangerous or anything... It was the front tire in dry sport-riding conditions that I never felt confident with. Just never felt like it would stick when I needed it to.

The Angel STs are fantastic all the time. I don't commute anymore and haven't used them in a heavy downpour, but wet rain-slicked roads are fine. I do take it very easy in those conditions, so I am probably not the best person to ask. I never feel like they are going to let me down, however.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
In your climate, don't worry about the rain, put on some sports bike tyres and enjoy. I love the Q3's on my 998, and would not hesitate to put them on my ST4S, but current model Pilot Roads are probably very good too.
Tyres are so personal, like oils etc.

Craig

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In your climate, don't worry about the rain, put on some sports bike tyres and enjoy. I love the Q3's on my 998, and would not hesitate to put them on my ST4S, but current model Pilot Roads are probably very good too.
Tyres are so personal, like oils etc.

Craig
Normally I wouldn't but I'll be riding all around the South / South East in August and I here it's pretty wet that time of year.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've alway preferred to put the best sport tire available on my bikes, not a commuter looking for value and longevity on tread. When I need traction and feel I want it to be there.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Like Craig I try to avoid tyre recommendations as everyone rides differently so demands different performance from their tyres. Some people will not ride in the rain etc.

Just remember that todays sport touring tyres are almost as good as the supersport tyres 10 years ago. Any sports tour tyre nowadays will be an improvement on what the bike came out with.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Just remember that todays sport touring tyres are almost as good as the supersport tyres 10 years ago. Any sports tour tyre nowadays will be an improvement on what the bike came out with.
Very true. I mentioned what I had on the bike when I got it and what I have on it now. I didn't include that for the majority of my ownership, the countless sets between those original version Roads and the Angels, I used sport tires. Primarily Pilot Powers, but also two sets of the now defunct Pilot Pures. I was convinced all ST tires would give me the not so confident feeling I had with the original Roads, so I avoided them and put up with the limited mileage. Also, for much of my ownership the ST was my only bike and served daily commuter and sport bike duty. When the 916 came to life, I decided to retire the sport bike duty side of the ST and went to the Angels thinking I'd use the bike mostly for the highway stuff. I was truly blown away with how good the Angel STs are. They really give up nothing to the Powers I was using, except maybe a bit of weight. There is a ton of rubber on these tires compared to what you get on a sport tire and the carcass is pretty stiff. You can't tell that riding it though. Drop in is light, stability is remarkable and they stick like glue. I was serious when I said I had considered them for the 916. The Q3s won out again for that bike, they are also fantastic, and I am not sure if the Angels would fit under my front fender without ribbing, to be honest...

Don't shy away from a modern ST tire due to any pre-conceived notions you may have of reduced badassery compared to a dedicated sport tire. I think you might be surprised at how good ST tires are now.

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
I mounted some PR4s for my friend's 1989 gixxer. He absolutely loves them. If the bike isn't going to the track, ST tires make a ton of sense.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very true. I mentioned what I had on the bike when I got it and what I have on it now. I didn't include that for the majority of my ownership, the countless sets between those original version Roads and the Angels, I used sport tires. Primarily Pilot Powers, but also two sets of the now defunct Pilot Pures. I was convinced all ST tires would give me the not so confident feeling I had with the original Roads, so I avoided them and put up with the limited mileage. Also, for much of my ownership the ST was my only bike and served daily commuter and sport bike duty. When the 916 came to life, I decided to retire the sport bike duty side of the ST and went to the Angels thinking I'd use the bike mostly for the highway stuff. I was truly blown away with how good the Angel STs are. They really give up nothing to the Powers I was using, except maybe a bit of weight. There is a ton of rubber on these tires compared to what you get on a sport tire and the carcass is pretty stiff. You can't tell that riding it though. Drop in is light, stability is remarkable and they stick like glue. I was serious when I said I had considered them for the 916. The Q3s won out again for that bike, they are also fantastic, and I am not sure if the Angels would fit under my front fender without ribbing, to be honest...

Don't shy away from a modern ST tire due to any pre-conceived notions you may have of reduced badassery compared to a dedicated sport tire. I think you might be surprised at how good ST tires are now.
Thanks for this, as I have for sure had a pre-conceinced bias away from ST tires. "If I can't run it for a track day, then I don't want it for the street" has been my reasoning, but perhaps it's time to change the way I think about them. I'm always happy to challenge what I think I know with new ideas and others opinions. Over the years I must say that every new set of tires seem to be better than the last set, guess it just keeps improving.

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
That is a good looking tire. I would research how closely it is related to the Angel GT though since Metzeler and Pirelli are joined. I did not like those in the wet at all. The Angel ST is a great tire by comparison.

Have a good one.
You need to be clearer, which didn't you like?

Craig>:)

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
I think you were being sarcastic (slow clap if you were. Haha!), but just in case: there was something seriously wrong with the set of Angel GTs that I had.

It could have just been mine or a certain batch (I bought mine not long after they were released), but I did read a post or two from others that confirmed it. In the wet, paint lines and tar snakes would upset the tires badly. I had a couple Code Browns in wet corners with tar snakes. I never had that problem with any other tire that I used (Dunlop D208 (2 sets), PR1 (2 sets), Metz Z6, Diablo Strada (2 sets), Angel ST (3 sets), or PR4 (2 sets) ). The front locked up two or three times under easy braking on painted arrows and the poor patchwork that we have here. Also, I didn't realize it until I swapped the Angel GTs out that I was slipping in corners on just plain, wet pavement. They were a great and lively tire on dry roads with wear slightly better than the Angel STs.

I said it above and in the past, I am only one data point. But . . .

I still have them in the crawlspace since I was thinking about mounting them again in mid-summer to use them up. I don't think it will be worth the effort though and they ain't getting any younger.

I think the one positive is that they taught me a lot about managing tires that were sliding?

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts