Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i could plug in a battery tender in this socket to charge my battery over the winter.
Battery dead this morning.
Anyone have any knowledge about that 12v acc port?

thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I thought i could plug in a battery tender in this socket to charge my battery over the winter.
Battery dead this morning.
Anyone have any knowledge about that 12v acc port?

thanks

Dave
You should be able to, as long as the fuse is good and you had the right connector (with correct polarity). I've never done it, I've used the Tender style pigtail and now Shorai dedicated pigtail, but there is no reason it wouldn't work if everything was in order.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I have always charged all my ST's by plugging the Battery Tender into the port.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's a BMW Type fitting port. I used it for my heated gear and fitted a Marine Grade 12v power outlet to the other side.
Cheers
Derek

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I've used the 12V port to trickle the battery, so it should work.
BUT: I've had batteries go bad over the winter while on the charger/maintainer. So I've been using a 24 hr. timer, along w/ the charger. It gives a fresh look at the battery each day, and always goes into the charge mode, and then float (then off, and repeat). 15 year young battery in my Corvette, and I get typically about 10 years on my bike batteries.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since I acquired my 04 St3 2 years ago I have left the battery on tender with a CTek charger. I use a Powerlet adapter to SAE connector. With this I can either use the Ctek to charge or attach a Motopressor pump in the event of a puncture. There is a 20A fuse under the seat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plugged in but didn't look at the charger lights. It seems I can be plugged in but not making a good connection.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
You should also check the plug at the back of the outlet has not fallen off. Mine did that periodically until I bent the spade terminals a little to tighten the connection. First battery lasted 13 years charging through the port.

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
I plugged in but didn't look at the charger lights. It seems I can be plugged in but not making a good connection.
Mine does that sometimes too. I wiggle it a little and it’s fine. I’ve gotten in the habit of looking at the LEDs on the Battery Minder to make sure before I leave it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Every now and then the (+) terminal on my battery gets a wee bit loose for no apparent reason, making it seem like the battery is dead. Might this be the problem the OP is experiencing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts