Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had to lay it down, it was the driver of the cars fault,her insurance cut me a check for 6,800, and let me keep the bike marked salvage. the damage is nearly all cosmetic, and would cost 5335$ to get back to perfect. 1,900$ to get it riding with some nicks here and there. advice on financially what would be the best plan of action. how much could i get for it "as is" salvage? or down the line selling a bike fixed up decently with a salvage record? i've never dealt with this before any advice would really help. thanks

zunk.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
bummer...

sorry to hear about it - but glad you came out alright.

the whole salvage title thing is an interesting one... lots of folks feel it's a huge negative and some won't even touch one, but it really comes down to the market at the time of sale and whether you find the right buyer. i bought a salvage title 06 s1k for a good price because i knew i was going to do a custom. the bike was in perfect shape, with all damage fixed. i was happy to get it, he was happy to sell it. and i bought it from a guy on this forum and had it shipped to me (i had it checked out at a dealer in his area and they knew the bike/gave it a clean bill of health).

thing is, you can total a bike from a monetary standpoint very quickly with just cosmetic damage (anything scratched or dented gets counted as a replacement) or with a tweaked steering stop and still have a perfectly rideable bike and/or platform for a custom.

personally i'd suggest spending the lower amount to have a generally fixed-up bike with a few nicks here and there - scratches lend a bit of street cred, show you're not keeping a garage queen and generally let you relax a whole helluva lot about the bike (the first scratch hurts like hell, but then you're not in the "brand-new-bike" mode emotionally anymore). i'm not talking about schlepping around on a rat-bike, but a little bit of "patina" ain't a bad thing at all :D

then you can keep the extra few grand for trackdays/gear/somethin' special for the little lady/whatever or plunk it down on real performance upgrades (vs. pure cosmetics) and have a super fun bike that has even more value (to YOU) than the original.

my .02 :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
That all makes sense, but the most profit, and almost certainly the most trouble, is probably in parting out the current bike and buying a replacement with the money from both the check and the sales. EBay makes this a far more practical alternative now than it was just a few short years ago.

Otherwise, I agree with GTRossi: a salvage title will hurt your resale value, so, if you keep it, I would only invest enough to make it something that you will be satisfied with.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
let me know if you decide to sell it.
we are putting together an endurance team and could use a back up bike.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
so i had to lay it down, it was the driver of the cars fault,her insurance cut me a check for 6,800, and let me keep the bike marked salvage. the damage is nearly all cosmetic, and would cost 5335$ to get back to perfect. 1,900$ to get it riding with some nicks here and there. advice on financially what would be the best plan of action. how much could i get for it "as is" salvage? or down the line selling a bike fixed up decently with a salvage record? i've never dealt with this before any advice would really help. thanks

zunk.
Spend 1,900 to get her running. Then spend the rest on engine mods.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the advice i think i'm going to try and fix it up i posted a thread on here looking for some used parts to try and save some money on repair check it out and if you have any of the parts mentioned hit me up. thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts