1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes them?

Who sells them?

What brands do you recommend?

Am I correct with the info that you can only go up two teeth in the rear on a 996?

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
The two brands I know of are STM and Evoluzione/AFAM. Between STM and Evo the carriers are different so the sprokets are not interchangable. I have the Evo I got it directly from Ken at Evoluzione Cyclesports in Simi. They are the company that makes the Evo Carrier. Ken makes some great parts, his clutch slave is also top notch.

http://www.evoluzione.net/

·
Registered
722 Posts
We carry the AFAM Q/Cs I like them a lot. They have the tabs to retain the cush drive inserts and are of very good quality and finish.

Sprocket Specilists had one too but we never got any from them.

·
Registered
791 Posts
hey ncrick, i'm looking for an afam 520 39 or 40t qcc rear sprocket. i already have the carrier with 41t. pm me and let me know how much. thx!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
NCRick said:
Sprocket Specilists had one too but we never got any from them.
i got one, works fine and fits the afam sprockets, also have the cush drive retainers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Renthal also makes a quick change carrier; of course you can only use there sprockets after the fact. But no different then the others.

-CC

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info. so what's the story with the chain? how many teeth can you go up on the rear and still use the same chain?

i don't want to change my chain or add any links.

·
Registered
722 Posts
With the 916 bikes, I would be weary of changing more than a tooth, without changing the chain length. You want to have the eccentric in the correct relationship and you want to maintain the ride height (adjusted back using the link)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just so i'm clear, when you say 916 bikes, you're including 996 and 998 bikes?

i guess if you want to go up 2 or 3 teeth in the rear, you have to get a new chain too?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Unless the preexisting components are new or near-new, I'm an advocate of changing all parts of the final drive at the same time. Skimping on critical components can be very dangerous IMO. There's nothing wrong with being frugal, but being cheap usually costs more in the long run.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Quick change carrier

DeputyDog, L.T. Snyder sells a real nice quick change sprocket carrier. Check it out at www.desmotimes.com Gregg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
danielspdx said:
Unless the preexisting components are new or near-new, I'm an advocate of changing all parts of the final drive at the same time. Skimping on critical components can be very dangerous IMO. There's nothing wrong with being frugal, but being cheap usually costs more in the long run.
my bike only has 1500 miles on it. i just want to lower the gearing a bit. i don't mind spending the money if i have to. on all my other bikes, i just usually change the countershaft sprocket and be done with it. seems kind of a waste to dump a perfectly good chain and sprockets to lower the gearing a bit. however, if that's what it takes to do it right, then i guess that's what i'll have to do.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've always heard you can go up a maximum of two teeth in back and keep the OEM chain. I don't think you would notice two teeth though, and I went up four teeth in the back and loved it.

I also hate throwing money away, but sometimes it seems unavoidable. If you end up needing a new chain, check out www.whitebuffaloracing.com for good deals on chains. I bought a new DID ERV3 gold chain for $118, which is about $40 cheaper than most places. Good luck finding a good deal on sprockets because the supply is fairly limited.

Even though I have a quick change setup (AFAM), I would have gotten an STM one piece sprocket in retrospect. The quick change setup is alot more expensive, and you won't 'break even' until about 5 sprocket changes. Food for thought.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i see your point, but don't the QC carriers offfer the advatage of keeping the cush drive in place? I"ve read a few things about the cush drives backing out and tearing stuff up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The cush drives are bolted to the drive hub and slide in corresponding holes in either the sprocket or carrier, depending on what type of rear sprocket you have. AFAIK, the STM one piece sprocket has provisions so the cush drives won't back out, but I'm not sure. The main advantage of the quick change is just that: it's quick to change, especially useful if you're at the track and want to change gearing. It serves no other useful purpose for 95% of us, myself included.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts