Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my older bikes, the full Termi kits came with the exhaust, headers, usually a new ECU and a higher flow washable air filter... Not sure if it was a K&N, BMC or DNA, but it was that style...

My 1200S came with the full Termi kit, has the 58mm headers, no CAT, the works... But when I checked the air filter, it is the standard paper OEM filter...

Is that normal? Do they no longer include a higher flow washable filter with the full kits? Should I pick one up and use that, or stick with paper?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking up the part # for this kit, it seems that it doesn't come with the air filter. Just the headers and mufflers and I guess the dealer has the Ducati box to flash the ECU with the Termi map...

So is it worth getting a washable filter? or just stick with paper and replace it every year or so, depending on mileage? If there is any performance advantage, I don't mind getting the KN or BMC filter...

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I don't like Washable filters unless they're easy to get to (definitely not easy on my Multi)... if you don't follow maintenance procedure and wash/re-oil washable filters then they stop filtering, and if it's hard to get to the filter you might be tempted not to maintain it.

I've used them on my performance oriented cars in the past... but IMO aftermarket filters are not a good idea for street use. The easiest way for a filter to improve engine airflow (the performance metric they advertise) is to actually FILTER less (the performance metric they actually NEED to deliver on to do their job). The aftermarket vendors (who publish lots of flow numbers but rarely if ever filtering numbers) are being incented to reduce the quality of their filtering to improve the advertising number they're using to get you to buy them... NOT a good combination.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't like Washable filters unless they're easy to get to (definitely not easy on my Multi)... if you don't follow maintenance procedure and wash/re-oil washable filters then they stop filtering, and if it's hard to get to the filter you might be tempted not to maintain it.

I've used them on my performance oriented cars in the past... but IMO aftermarket filters are not a good idea for street use. The easiest way for a filter to improve engine airflow (the performance metric they advertise) is to actually FILTER less (the performance metric they actually NEED to deliver on to do their job). The aftermarket vendors (who publish lots of flow numbers but rarely if ever filtering numbers) are being incented to reduce the quality of their filtering to improve the advertising number they're using to get you to buy them... NOT a good combination.
Yeah, I have considered that over the years... If I ever kept a bike more than 12-18 months then it would be a factor when considering the long term impact on the motor... I just figured I would ask what people typically do with this bike, with the Termi full kit.

I tend to put the washable filters on my bikes, always have... On the M1200, once you get rid of the stupid evap can and reroute the two hoses up front, it's easy to tilt the tank up, prop it with a wooden dowel and access the air filter. Not as easy as the Streetfighter was, but pretty easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts