Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything special required when installing the DP ECU into a ST3?

When I connect the DP ECU and turn the key on, the dash comes alive, but a fast clicking sound is heard (fuel pump?). The bike will not even attempt to start - no starter action.

When re-connecting the stock ECU, the bike fires right up.

I must be missing something basic here.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
a red key and a procedure of alternating red and black keys for a certain amount of time between keys.

look in your owners manual. i think they have the procedure in there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read a large amount of conflicting information surrounding the immobilizer, ECU, red key, and dash for the 5.9 series ECU's.

My current understanding is that a "virgin" ECU will work with any (5.9 series 2004+) immobilizer and dash, until it is programmed to the immobilizer. Then once the blank ECU is coded with the red key, it cannot be overridden. Only then is the ECU is coded to your red key and useless to anyone else.

I really don't want to tie this DP ECU to my immobilizer until I've done some further performance testing with my setup.

Perhaps I'm misinformed and there is more to it? - as my new DP ECU does not allow the bike to start.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ducati23 said:

When I connect the DP ECU and turn the key on, the dash comes alive, but a fast clicking sound is heard (fuel pump?). The bike will not even attempt to start - no starter action.

Find out where the fast clicking sound is coming from. Sounds like a marginal fuel pump relay but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that it works fine with the OEM ECU and not the DP ECU but that's what I would suspect first.

Do the easy stuff, swap relays with each other, make sure your battery is fully charged and the ground wires are clean and tight. Let us know what solves it.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Ducati23 said:

Is the DP ECU brand new, or did you get it off another bike? If it's brand new, you should be able to plug it in and the bike will start. If it came off another bike and the RED key was used to start that bike, the DP ECU is tied to the immobilizer on the original bike!

By the way, a 'virgin' ECU can be moved between bikes, but as soon a the RED key is used to start a bike, the ECU gets imprinted with the unique immobilizer code. It can never be used on another bike after that.

Edit: Doh! It's late and I'm tired and I didn't notice you already know all this. Just ignore me! :sleep:

·
Registered
18 Posts
New ECU problem

Make sure you have it in the right way. As with the "notch" on the ECU on the same end as the original.
Incorrect install will cause the symptoms you describe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts