Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy my Hyper 1100s, but find the styling of the SC sport to be pretty much the sexiest thing on two wheels ever created! Coming from the Harley V-Rod, I chose the Hyper over the Monster because of the geometry and more comfortable riding position.

I am 42 years old 6' and a tad, 230 lbs. I was once in great shape, but since I ruptured my L5 disk 2 years ago I find it hard to stay very fit. While normal day to day stuff is fine there are times when I really feel the pain in my back if I move the wrong way and this will probably be my reality for the rest of my life.

I have not had the opportunity to try the SC as there are none on the island and I would have to go to Athens to find one so my question is do you feel that I would be unhappy riding one? Would the riding position be too difficult for me or are there mods that can ease the pressure on my lower back without changing the styling of the bike too much.

Incidentally I am a daily rider, but rarely more than 45 minuets at a time.

Thanks for any insight you might have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey there, you will find plenty of information for your question on this forum. My personal view so far: Yes you will be happy and your back will not be. But you get used to it and it is kind of ab excercise all the time. So it depends how bad your back is. Riding the SC is priceless...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Riding a Sportclassic hurts. Everywhere. And mostly on the wrists.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
6'2", 200lb, degraded L1/L2. Use it mostly as a commuter 12mi/12mi. You do get use to it. Highway speeds, the wind props you up, not bad on wrist/back.

The stock clutch pull takes longer to get used to, but chicks dig the one-armed Popeye look.

Buy it. That's why ibuprofen was invented.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Well, even though misery loves company, there is a limit. Given the info in the original post, I would say that the SC Sport would be a very poor choice. Not sure if you are stuck on the S or the unfaired version. If the latter is acceptable, then modifying the top triple to accept tube bars as on the GT is not terribly hard, and would fix the worst part of the riding position. Your knees will still be a bit scrunched though - also fixable.

So, no, the Sport is not the right bike for you with your bad back. However, it can be turned into an okay bike for you with some moderate modification.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Can you try out any other sport bikes? Anything with clipons and rearsets. If that hurts, the Sport will be worse. Then it's just a matter of logic vs feeling

·
Registered
25 Posts
can you try out any other sport bikes? Anything with clipons and rearsets. If that hurts, the sport will be worse. Then it's just a matter of logic vs feeling
+1:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the honest replies, I'm not surprised that many of you are "hinting" that it may not be the bike for me.... Damn, they're just so sexy!
Maybe one day I will be able to buy one not to ride just to look at it in my garage. Like I do with my other bikes in the winter.... sit in the garage with a scotch and a cigar and just stare at them... lol :)

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Thanks for all the honest replies, I'm not surprised that many of you are "hinting" that it may not be the bike for me.... Damn, they're just so sexy!
Maybe one day I will be able to buy one not to ride just to look at it in my garage. Like I do with my other bikes in the winter.... sit in the garage with a scotch and a cigar and just stare at them... lol :)
Well if there is no chance for causing permanent damage to your back, buy one and try it out, you'll know right quick if it's doable for you. They don't really depreciate much so if need be you sell it. There are a ton of things to do to make them more comfortable so go for it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if there is no chance for causing permanent damage to your back, buy one and try it out, you'll know right quick if it's doable for you. They don't really depreciate much so if need be you sell it. There are a ton of things to do to make them more comfortable so go for it.
I would have to give up something to get it :(
Also I'm soon to be going through a divorce so $$ will be tight.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My bike no longer hurts me on a normal outing. I used to bitch moan and whine but I've finally got her dialed in exactly how I want her. I'm riding her and she's no longer riding me. As a matter of fact, she's a joy to ride now, even in a stop and go traffic. :D

Although on a long distance ride, i.e. 400+ miles/ day, my legs do feel the pain from being folded for an hour + at a time but since I don't normally do that, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
After having my SE1000 for a week, my wrists are totally used to it and i'm even thinking of buying SM clipons which will be lower than the stock setup. Crazy, I know.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's the set up that I have for my SE.

Yes, it seems crazy. The SM SBK Clip-ons are at least an inch lower than stock 06 but it's not the height of the bars that hurt your wrist, but the angle, forced, unnatural angle.

Here's the write up I did a few months back, Weekend Mods

·
Registered
13 Posts
I enjoy my Hyper 1100s, but find the styling of the SC sport to be pretty much the sexiest thing on two wheels ever created! Coming from the Harley V-Rod, I chose the Hyper over the Monster because of the geometry and more comfortable riding position.

I am 42 years old 6' and a tad, 230 lbs. I was once in great shape, but since I ruptured my L5 disk 2 years ago I find it hard to stay very fit. While normal day to day stuff is fine there are times when I really feel the pain in my back if I move the wrong way and this will probably be my reality for the rest of my life.

I have not had the opportunity to try the SC as there are none on the island and I would have to go to Athens to find one so my question is do you feel that I would be unhappy riding one? Would the riding position be too difficult for me or are there mods that can ease the pressure on my lower back without changing the styling of the bike too much.

Incidentally I am a daily rider, but rarely more than 45 minuets at a time.

Thanks for any insight you might have.
Hey there, so I am a new SC owner myself (2007 Sport100 bio). I have gone through what really is the standard initial steps of any SC owner, how do I ride this thing without hurting!

This bike takes a lot of getting use to, a lot of things to remember, use your back and core to support yourself, hug the tank with your legs to take some more of the weight off your wrists. It is a learning process.

My friend has a monster and I have taken that out for a spin a bunch of times before getting my SC and I can say without a doubt that the monster is much more comfortable to ride (this is assuming everything is stock) clutch is way softer and handle bars much more comfortable.

I will try to see if answering your questions with questions might get you going in the right direction:

1) Are you willing to put additional funds into the bike to make all the recommended mods to get the bike more comfortable?

2) Are you mechanically solid that you can do these mods yourself or will you need to send it into a shop? Ducati shop rates can get very pricey as I am sure you may know already.

3) Will you have those funds, to make the mods, available right away after purchasing the bike?

4) As you said, the look of the bike is great, but that is all stock, how far away from stock are you willing to go to get that comfort? Possibly lose some of that beauty to gain the comfort? (this probably only applies to clip-ons vs getting a bar)

As I said I am a brand spanking new owner so take everything i say with a grain of salt :) With all that said, the bike looks better in person then in the pictures. I don't use mine as a daily commuter so I do have the luxury of getting adjusted to it before decided to make a mod or not.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
People keep saying to use your core muscles but the ones I'm ALWAYS feeling are my lower back muscles. My abs don't get much use. My inner thighs get a good workout as well since those are used to pull my knees into the tank for grip. I get wrist pain as well (computer programmer for decades) so one day I think my next mod will be adjustable after-market clip-ons to straighten out my grip.

I must be really skinny because I have to go well beyond legal USA speed limits to get enough air to even marginally help prop me up. And since I barely use the interstate/highway I only got to try that out once or twice. But my bike is better suited to the twisties ('06 monoposto).

I love a good scotch and cigar, too :D You are a man of very good taste!

Divorce? Wait until after the divorce before you start buying toys. In the mean time, enjoy the Duc you have now as it's far more comfortable.

Speaking of comfort, only pay attention to the posts where the folks are the same weight, height, and medical ailments as you because a twenty-something with no 'damaged body' experience will have a clue...even then, only give it a little attention because everyone is different. If you can, you really need to take one out on a test ride that's more than a couple of miles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't have any serious spinal injuries but.....I'm 60 years old, been a mechanic for 40+ of that and have all the associated ailments. Back, shoulders, elbows, wrists, knees, neck have all been abused. I'm 5' 11", 195# with longish arms. Most days, if my body hurts, it's only comfortable on the bike. You just never know. I just need to stay under 250 miles in a day.

I say, What the Hell, roll the dice! ......and hope the future "X" has no interest.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
you can compare the various positions here:

Motorcycle Ergonomics

Absolutely, the SC line will require more lower back/core/thigh strength than an upright bike. You may want to think about it carefully or find a similar bike position to test ride if you do have a back issue.

..and if your wrists hurt, you are riding incorrectly...

·
Registered
365 Posts

Motorcycle Ergonomics
Ha! Great website. Now I know why my legs hurt so bad on a 400 miles+ ride. I'm 5'7" and on my SE my forward lean is 48º and my knee angle is at 73º, same as if I was riding an 1198 or a Panigale :eek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Motorcycle Ergonomics

Absolutely, the SC line will require more lower back/core/thigh strength than an upright bike. You may want to think about it carefully or find a similar bike position to test ride if you do have a back issue.

..and if your wrists hurt, you are riding incorrectly...
Very interesting website... looks like I am going to have to get my a$$ in shape over the summer if a SC is in my future..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts