Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to tighten my front Axle nut on my Paul Smart. I have the tool required for this but it doesn't fit inside the end of the axle once you get the nut tight. The difference is, on my 1000s the tool works because there is a slight "groove" on the fork where the tool can seat into but on the ohlins fork there is no groove for the tool to bite on and once you get the nut tightened down to a certain point it loses grip and the axle just spins.

Just curious what ways anyone is using. I thought about tightening the pinch bolts but wanted to ask here first.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I am trying to tighten my front Axle nut on my Paul Smart. I have the tool required for this but it doesn't fit inside the end of the axle once you get the nut tight. The difference is, on my 1000s the tool works because there is a slight "groove" on the fork where the tool can seat into but on the ohlins fork there is no groove for the tool to bite on and once you get the nut tightened down to a certain point it loses grip and the axle just spins.

Just curious what ways anyone is using. I thought about tightening the pinch bolts but wanted to ask here first.
This the tool you need?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-109...m48a3d9e9f2:m:mq8yfg7BIDYbZGgqrp4gkSw&vxp=mtr

I personally have never used one. I tightened the pinch bolts on the far side, torque down the nut properly, then loosen the pinch bolts, re-tighten both fork leg sides lower pinch bolts 1-2-1-2-1 and call it a day.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This the tool you need?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-109...m48a3d9e9f2:m:mq8yfg7BIDYbZGgqrp4gkSw&vxp=mtr

I personally have never used one. I tightened the pinch bolts on the far side, torque down the nut properly, then loosen the pinch bolts, re-tighten both fork leg sides lower pinch bolts 1-2-1-2-1 and call it a day.
I've got the tool but it just doesn't work on the PS forks because it doesn't go in far enough because of the lack of a "groove" for the tool to seat in. When you start torque-ing down the axle bolt the tool slips out.

I ended up tightening down the pinch bolts as well. Everything is back on now and good to go......Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts