Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 1098s midnight black. Recently had a side stand incident that left some minor scars.
I brought to a reputable and reccomended paint guy and he says he can fix it, blend it and reclear the whole panel.
I was also foing to have him repaint the nose while its there to get rid of the rock chips.
My question is this....... With the sparkle/metal flake in the paint(or cler not sure which), how well could this be fixed? Can it be done? Or is it going to be close?
I had considered just waiting for a replacement panel comes up, but that could be a while to find a pristine one

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just had mine done. Both fairings and the nose cone plus he shaved the mirrors off. $800

Just to give you an idea on price. Looks brand new. I am attaching a pic. Bike isn't washed or waxed but it still looks pretty good

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
For a highly experienced painter, it should not be an issue to blend the panels and reclear them. If I'm not mistaken, the diamond pearl is a basecoat clearcoat, meaning the pearl is already mixed in with the black; with the correct ratio of course. All he would need is the paint code from your bike and a high quality clear. Then a final cut and buff and I'm quite sure it will look better than your oem finish.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Yeah, just take it to a reputable body or motorcycle shop and pay no more than 800

·
Bon Vivant
11,733 Posts
Yeah, just take it to a reputable body or motorcycle shop and pay no more than 800
There's no possible way you can tell him how much he should expect to pay when you are not an experienced painter and you haven't seen the job or priced materials.
I've seen some oem colors that run $800 a quart just for the second stage of a 3 stage paint...

There are painters who can do the job and then there are painters who will try. Matching black metallic is tough. The gun he shoots with, pressures, flow, mixture, all have to be precise to get the metallic to lay down in the same manner as the original - a good painter will experiment and adjust until he gets it right. A lazy painter will shoot the job and make excuses - most fall into the later category.

I'm not saying it's impossible to spot but I'd ask to see some other spot work before you decide to go that route.

If it were mine Id try to paint the whole panel and if I couldn't get a match I'd paint the whole bike.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts