Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the proper way to pronounce DUCATI and APRILIA? I live in the Southeastern part of the US and you wouldn't believe all of the different ways I've heard it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wade said:
What's the proper way to pronounce DUCATI and APRILIA? I live in the Southeastern part of the US and you wouldn't believe all of the different ways I've heard it.

Thanks in advance
Doo-ka-tee

A-Pree-lee-a

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
very hard to tell you without adding a sound clip. essentially, we say each letter as it sounds, that's it! so lets try this

ducati - english people say "ducahte" we say "ducaatee"

aprilia -english people say "aprehleyuh" we say "aapreeleea"

see each letter very tight, every "a" like "ah" and every "i" like "ee" and you should get close

(ao, a raga'... ce quarcuno che me vuo' aiuta'?" (that's roman dialect in words - me looking for help explaining pronounciation from other italians on the board)

·
Tightly Clenched...
957 Posts
OK I'm interested in this too...

DUCATI

DU: does it sound like "doo" or "dew" or "duh" (say dew like you'd say eeeewwww!)

CAT: does it sound like "cat" or like "caht" or like "cart"

I: I guess that's easy and it sounds like "ee" right?

Just that everytime I see all the guys from the US calling their bikes a "duck" for short makes me wonder...we call them "dukes" in Oz...much more respectful...

And don't get me started on the rest of the pronunciation! :)

The usual way I hear it over here is Dew-catee.

Doo-cartee is they way you guys sound to me...

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
Better then some Americans i guess..

I heard this on guy (must be from Kentucky somewhere) say

"That Dukayti..."

In Sweden most people only say Ducce.. Which close enough! :D

//amullo

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried searching the online dictionaries and most replied with "word not found" or a link to Wiki, which doesn't give the pronunciation.

I should have come to the best source first, namely here.

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sily silly silly.

Say it how you want - every Italian bike enthusiast will know what you mean, and will love you for the kindred spirit you have with them.

Especially if you say it with a glass of the finest italian red.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I ran across a guy recently who was from Tuscany, and I ran a few words at him to learn the proper way to pronounce them. The most interesting one that I asked was for that of my Paso. He said that most of Italy would pronounce it as "Pah-so", but he said that in Tuscany, he'd pronounce it as "Pah-zo". He said that Italy is very much like the USA with its different dialects.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes many dialects, but a true Italian can tell when proper Italian is spoken. I have a habit of speaking Calabrese with my daughter, wife and so on. Only to have my wife correct me almost on a daily basis. She is from the North and speaks more proper than me from the South.

For the record I was born way up North in Milan but speak Calabrese since my parents where from Calabria. :think:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
just listen to Rossi

"eh, the Ducati was too fast today... I rode and rode hard, no way I would win today"

:)

directv channel 607 on Sundays and Tuesdays - for the rest of the season

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
and while on the sobject, can anybody explain why every american, can not say the word Desmose'dici but they all say Desmosedi'ci?
My dealer, is in Italy 3 times x month at Ducati factory can't say it the way is meant to be. It drives me nuts!
E che cazzo!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts