Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 monster 620 owners, dual disc brake, could you post a picture of how far your brake lever goes, and does it feel stiff or soft?

I've tried every single bleeding method, caliper rebuild, master rebuild, but my brake lever feels too soft. Maybe it was always like this and I just didn't pay attention

·
Registered
2003 Ducati M620D
7 Posts
I have been thinking along these lines aswell lately. I am the second owner of my monster and the bike came with dual disc and highmounts when i got it. I am not convinced it wasn't a dealer installed dual disc setup, maybe the wrong brake master cylinder is on the bike for dual discs??? my lever has alot of travel and is never "firm" it works, never a problem in the 15k miles i have put on the bike but riding other friends bikes recently i have the feeling the cylinder is too small for the caliperS

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been thinking along these lines aswell lately. I am the second owner of my monster and the bike came with dual disc and highmounts when i got it. I am not convinced it wasn't a dealer installed dual disc setup, maybe the wrong brake master cylinder is on the bike for dual discs??? my lever has alot of travel and is never "firm" it works, never a problem in the 15k miles i have put on the bike but riding other friends bikes recently i have the feeling the cylinder is too small for the caliperS
THANK GOD SOMEONE WITH MY ISSUE!

i'm pretty sure my master is the right one, it took it all apart and it definitely looks like the original one(also according to many users who helped me)

i did so much work, caliper rebuild, disassembled the master, bled the brakes for hours, nothing.

i'm scared i won't have enough breaking power in an emergency, but i'm scared to test it out, and just brake at full power, i'm scared to lose traction.but that's the only way to really test it....

there is nooo freaking way i have air in my brakes, there isn't a single bubble coming out! i even did reverse bleeding!

it would be really nice if you could post a video/picture, it feels like the cylinder doesn't have enough travel right? like the amount of oil it's pushing on each cycle is too little...

what do you mean by highmounts? (not familiar with the term, english is not my native language), you mean exhausts? if so, mine came with highmounts aswell. and a high handlebar too (slightly higher thant he original one, but i've since replaced it with a even higher one, because fuck that, comfort is more important, ain't racing this shit, i don't need every advantage haha)

·
Registered
2003 Ducati M620D
7 Posts
yes i meant exhaust, i know the exhaust was dealer installed so i just thought maybe the original owner had the front brake upgrade done aswell.

Next time im out in the garage i will take a video for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 2 m620's in the shop both with oem dual disc set ups both have 16mm masters.

Do you have original levers? Snap pictures of the brake lever adjustment screw and post it up.
screw is all the way (tried changing it but it don't help) levers are original

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
"screw is all the way "
All the way what direction?
It should be sealed from the factory with a yellowish wax. If not it may be a replacement lever and set incorrectly. That screw has nothing to do with reach yet plenty of people play with them trying to adjust length of reach so make sure it is set properly. If the screw head is wax filled then it is oem and unlikely the problem, replacements are NOT sealed.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
maybe the screw is all the way in blocking the compensating port and not allowing it to bleed properly. screw the screw all the way out and see if it bleeds up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maybe the screw is all the way in blocking the compensating port and not allowing it to bleed properly. screw the screw all the way out and see if it bleeds up.
nope! i've also tried 2 different levers just out of curiosity, no help

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"screw is all the way "
All the way what direction?
It should be sealed from the factory with a yellowish wax. If not it may be a replacement lever and set incorrectly. That screw has nothing to do with reach yet plenty of people play with them trying to adjust length of reach so make sure it is set properly. If the screw head is wax filled then it is oem and unlikely the problem, replacements are NOT sealed.
where would the wax be? in the "hole" of the screw? (the one that pushes against the piston) levers are oem as far as i know, brembo logo and everything

·
Registered
2003 Ducati M620D
7 Posts
I've got some maintenance planned for this Saturday so if I don't get a chance to sneak away before then, I will get it then. (Sorry I have a 17month old son so I only get about 10 minutes at a time)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts