Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 2011 Monster 796 with only 4600 miles on it. My question is being that the bike is 6 years old, should I look at replacing the belts right away?

·
Registered
853 Posts
It depends whether the bike was stored away from heat, sunlight and ozone-producing equipment such as running electrical motors. If you don't have direct knowledge regarding how the bike was stored then change the belts ASAP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stored in a relatively average humidity (winter heated) garage with a tile floor (right beside a Dodge Viper!)

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
It depends whether the bike was stored away from heat, sunlight and ozone-producing equipment such as running electrical motors. If you don't have direct knowledge regarding how the bike was stored then change the belts ASAP.
I'm trying to imagine an environment with large brushed motors without ventilation that a motorcycle would be parked. :)

Take the covers off and examine them for cracks and that the pulley bearing seals are not leaking, if you are concerned. This question has been answered repeatedly, so i'm sure a search will provide massive numbers of opinions.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'd just replace them they aren't that expensive and even with that low mileage it is 6 years old.
Better the belts now than calves and pistons IF one does fail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best place to buy belts? Also, I've seen aftermarket german made belts that look good. Anyone use aftermarket?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought a '13 796 last year with 4K on it, I changed the belts at the 7500mi service this spring, but I knew the previous owner and how it was stored. Given that yours are 6 years old, I wouldn't fool around.

As an aside, unless the tires are documented to be new, I would put some new rubber on it as well. Even though I knew how my bike had been stored previously, I don't mess around about tires. With 4500mi on them, they are very likely OEM tires.... and 6 years old. Time for a new set.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Best place to buy belts? Also, I've seen aftermarket german made belts that look good. Anyone use aftermarket?
I bought some belts from Germany, made in Italy, Dayco brand. Dayco claims they meet or exceed oem specs. Have bot installed them yet. I find the idea that only Gates or CCW will be safe to use to be ludicrous at best.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
5,366 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would replace them asap just to make sure that i could sleep good at night. Not that expensive.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Change them asap! Best place for belts is definitely from Chris at CA Cycle works! OEM fit at a much better price!

California Cycleworks, Inc. - Aftermarket Ducati Parts for Ducati Performance | ca-cycleworks.com
Their shipping price to Canada is pricey and I found OEM belts to my door for $20 cheaper
I completely understand. With that said I'd still buy from CA Cycle works. They are a small business that has supported the Ducati community, and if we don't all these smaller "mom and pop" shops will be gone. Ducati isn't real worried about our belt purchases...but I guarantee Chris will appreciate it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I completely understand. With that said I'd still buy from CA Cycle works. They are a small business that has supported the Ducati community, and if we don't all these smaller "mom and pop" shops will be gone. Ducati isn't real worried about our belt purchases...but I guarantee Chris will appreciate it!
Next time then

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Can you please post or PM the link to the German source?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
They sell various Ducati parts on eBay. Clutches, gasket sets, performance stuff. Prices seem good. MorracoSpeed or something like that ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts