Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, Im sure this has been asked. But this forum seems to have some expirenced riders here so I figured I could get some help. I have been riding for 4 years took the road course classes. Love riding my bike which is a 07 ninja 650. I have been in the hunt for a new bike this summer and ready to upgrade. Was looking at the monster 1100s. Until i saw pics of the street fighter. I'm a huge fan of the naked bikes. But am affraid the street fighter might be to much for me to handle. But i'd hate to buy the monster then wish i bought the street fighter. And would the dtc on the s be a better choice and easier to ride then the base model. I really want my next bike to be a bike i hold on for awhile. Im just really bored with what i have now

·
Registered
465 Posts
First of all, Im sure this has been asked. But this forum seems to have some expirenced riders here so I figured I could get some help. I have been riding for 4 years took the road course classes. Love riding my bike which is a 07 ninja 650. I have been in the hunt for a new bike this summer and ready to upgrade. Was looking at the monster 1100s. Until i saw pics of the street fighter. I'm a huge fan of the naked bikes. But am affraid the street fighter might be to much for me to handle. But i'd hate to buy the monster then wish i bought the street fighter. And would the dtc on the s be a better choice and easier to ride then the base model. I really want my next bike to be a bike i hold on for awhile. Im just really bored with what i have now
This is not really a question anyone can answer without knowing you and your riding abilities. I would say it depends more on mileage than years riding. If in 4 years you've done 1,500 miles, then I'd say stick to your 650. If, however, you ride everyday, are a fast learner and have put down some miles, go for it! In the end its all up to you to be safe. The power is there if you abuse it but if you go slow and take your time, you can lug this bike around in the bottom half of the revs and never have a worry.

That being said, go ride the Monster 1100 first, it will be so much more than what your on now, you'll probably be content with it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
294 Posts
according to what you are saying i'd go for the Monster
the SF is really a handfull dtc or no dtc lol
i almost done 1000 klm on it and it can be scary
i think Monster will fit you cuz it's more friendly
but then again it's up to you
:cool:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I do 500 miles a week on mountain roads and have been doing it for 5 months now. to tell you the truth anything around 100hp or more is quite a handful. specially when it weights less than 400lbs. dry. But then again there is the possibility that you could take it easy for some time. if you like to ride hard up mountain roads I would say get a monster. if you think you can take it easy till you feel comfortable in it get the streetfighter. I find that 130hp is more than i could really handle. even though I enjoy having those extra ponies it all comes to maneuvering and fun factor. I would say test drive em. If you feel that the streetfighter freaks you out when accelerating in a straight line (it probably will) and that you will not be able to control your wrist on the road then probably you should go with the monster first. If thats the case wait a bit longer you will se better bikes coming your way in a near future.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I think your wrist is the one that should make the decision, if you have throttle control and you're not a 19 y.o. squid, the SF will suit you just like the Monster does. At the end, the monster can kill you just as well as the SF.
$.02!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the helpful info. Im definitely not a 19 year old squid. lol Im actually the type of person that is over cautious. I would absolutely putter around on the SF till I felt comftable on the bike. But is it a bike that will allow me to just putter around to begin with. Really appreciate all the help thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am in the same quandry right now. I test rode the 2009 Monster 1100S a few weeks ago, but am waiting on the Street Fighter roll out this weekend to make my choice. BTW, I also rode the HyperMotard and the 848 (they were not demo-ing the 1098 or 1198, probably for insurance reasons) and liked the 1100S the best for myself and my riding style.
I immediately fell in love with the 1100S. Super light (lighter than your Ninja 650!), very torquey, flickable in corners, and you can easily loft the front wheel if that is your thing. There is also a feeling of flying riding it...it is like there is nothing in front of you on the bike. I immediately felt comfortable leaning into curves and holding a line. The Ohlins suspension is superb, that and the Marchesini wheels and carbon fiber bits make the S the one to go with for the extra $2000.
I haven't rode the Street Fighter, but from all that I read (and I have studied it alot! ), it is all of the above plus much more power...not to mention $4000.00!
For the limited amout I know about you from this thread, I believe the Monster will be more than you would ever want. You have to ride a Ducati to understand how great these bikes handle, sound, feel, and accelerate. It is a big step up from your Ninja without going ballistic.
For me...I don't know. I suppose I will know more this weekend, if the Dealership is demo-ing the Street Fighter S.
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

·
Bon Vivant
12,048 Posts
Here is the answer:

I have a 1098 (basis for the SF). If there is a bike, any bike, that would be too much for someone - this is it!

I can't say what is too much for you personally but this is the bike that will get an inexperienced rider into trouble fast.

I've been riding for 35 years, raced a bit, and have always loved crazy fast bikes. Every time I ride my 1098 I scream into my helmet FAAAAK! this thing is stupid fast!

My advice is get the 1100 and ride it for at least 1 year, you will absolutely love it! Monsters are SWEET bikes that can do just about anything. They are plenty fast and nimble and tons of fun.
When you start to feel that the bike isn't cutting it any more then trade up to the SF, but I can assure you that it will be a long time before you get tired of the 1100.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The other big thing to consider here is that the Monster 2 valve motor is such a beautiful easy motor to ride. The 4 valve water cooled motors are much less forgiving on throttle control. I own both engine types and I have to say the 2 valve motor is just plain fantastic fun to ride compared to my 4 valve.
I had to be talked into taking the 2 valve for a test ride but once I did I was hooked. I still enjoy it very much. Those extra hp are only used rarely but you will enjoy the flexibility and ease of the 2 valve every minute!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm leaning towards the monster. Just afraid of spending that kind of money on a SF and will be afraid to ride it. I think I answered my own question by posting this thread in the first place. I know i'll be ready for a SF when I don't have to ask if i'm ready. The ones that will be getting on there SF'ers this weekend, i'm extremely jealous you lucky bastards. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It will only save your ass in an extreme situation and even then only a maybe.
For day to day riding probably not really. Riding in the wet may be a fraction safer though. Thoughts from others........??

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
It is a fallacy to say if you control your wrist then you will be okay on a powerful bike that you don't have the experience for. You learn best when the challenge is not too extreme a stretch fro your skillset. If you give a learner an open class sportbike, the well discipline dmight not crash but they will take an extraordinary long time to gain enough skill to master it.

That is the very reason why less powerful bikes are more suitable. They are less initimidating and allow the rider to slowly improve their skills mastering a portion of the performance one piece a at time because the steps required are not too large.

For an expert the 1100S is you need, but sometimes experts just want a little more, just because, that was my view when I tested the monster, but as a next step from a 650 Ninja, perfect in my estimation

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful info. Im definitely not a 19 year old squid. lol Im actually the type of person that is over cautious. I would absolutely putter around on the SF till I felt comftable on the bike. But is it a bike that will allow me to just putter around to begin with. Really appreciate all the help thanks
well get the SF then... if you are a careful rider, then the bike can't be "too much" for you. but I am one of those that doesn't believe in "too much" I just say some people have no self control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.