Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I hope that I don't get flamed for this, especially since this is my first post, but here we go...

As of last week, I'm the proud owner of a brand-spankin'-new 2005 749 Dark, and I love it! The only other Italian V-twin that I've owned was a 2004 Aprilila RSVR, and since I'm much more of a small (displacement-wise) bike guy, the Duc feels sooooo much better, and "at-home" on it. Also, not being able to get parts is no longer a concern. Anyhoo...

You guys know the white number board on the front of the 749s/999s? I think those look cool as hell, and I think it'd break up the all-blackness of the Dark, in a very clean way. Problem is- I can't seem to find here in the U.S. with good looking/factory looking stuff.

So, if anyone knows of a good place, let me know! Or, if it's against the Ducati-way of doing things, let me know, too. For what it's worth, I've also got a 2005 Kawasaki 636 that's bone-stock and staying that way. If I'm not going to rice-up a Jap bike ('cause I know what not to do), I definitely don't want to do that to my Ducati. My Aprilia... the only thing that I had on that were the Akrapovic pipes, and that's it. I like to keep it simple and clean.

That's it! Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,294 Posts
There are two ways to do the white number field

*Get it painted on - not popular on "stock" farings

*Get it vinyled on - Very popular.

Painting is best done at a carpaintshop or a an airbrush artist near you. Vinyling is easy to do yourself and less expensive. They can be bought "ready" or you can buy some self-adhesive white vinyl and do your own design. I´ll leave it to the xx9-guys to give you the name of a supplier for the ready to install stuff.

Here is ONE example of vinyls.

I´ve vinyled on mine ant that stays put even at speeds exceeding 140mph.

//amullo

·
Registered
610 Posts
first off congratulations, I got mine friday before Christmas and lovin it as well. I feel so stupid right now reading you'r post and having no pics for you but I'll try and explain. I first went down to the vinyl shop around the corner from me and got an estimate. The kid knew the look I was going for (xerox rr) and pulled out some samples to match the stock lettering on my dark. perfect match....The boss came over and said that it would cost me $300 to do the bike.?!?!?!?!
W T F!!!!!

So I left, went to Kinkos and bought some vinyl from the clerk at $3 a foot!!!! It wasn't as nice as the shop vinyl but for what I was doing was just fine.

After some patience and loving care I cut and trimmed the vinyl to the bikes already nice lines. A few weeks later I received my Breil sticker kit from ebay and B A H M!!!

Full on race replica 06 749 dark...

I'll continue to try to post pics but every time I try it dosn't work, for now this is it.

BTW if you didn't get it, I used a grey vinyl and I think it matches better than white. White is to blah. Grey is the way to go. White looks like a clown face!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
# Board

I also have a dark and was considering the number board. I like the one pictured here too!

Also considering these:

Ebay Auction #1

Ebay Auction #2

Does anyone have any experience with the seller? I am also wondering how the sticker looks when it wraps into the headlight openings. I figured that the sticker would wrinkle. Was a heatgun used?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,294 Posts
Don´t use a heatgun, use a hairdryer. A heatgun is to powerful and will wrinkle the vinyl.

Also, you use a spraybottle wit water and a few drops of dishwashing fluid while mounting. That way you have some time to adjust the sticker/vinyl before it grabs hold. Also have a soft piece of plastic to remove airbubbles trapped between the vinyl and the fairing.

If you don´t want to do it yourself, take it to a company that does stickers/vinyl´s on cars. They can probabaly helpp out for a few $$ and a case of brews.

//amullo

·
Registered
364 Posts
Good Quality Stickers

I have bought stuff from SR Sign Designs on E Bay and was VERY Impressed with the Quality of his decals. Now, I have not bought a Number board from him, but what I did buy was good quality and it was shipped immediately. I couldn't be happier. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts