Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Multistrada 1200S touring that I recently bought from a dealer.

One of the forks has a wire coming off the top, and the other just has a dial. Did I get ripped off? I would think they would both have wires at the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a 2015 Multistrada 1200S touring that I recently bought from a dealer.

One of the forks has a wire coming off the top, and the other just has a dial. Did I get ripped off? I would think they would both have wires at the top.

No, you didn’t. The left leg has the electronic compression/rebound damping, the right leg has traditional preload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, you didn’t. The left leg has the electronic compression/rebound damping, the right leg has traditional preload.

Thank God.

I really should have made this post earlier. I've been quietly losing my S**T for the past few days.:crazy:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thank God.

I really should have made this post earlier. I've been quietly losing my S**T for the past few days.:crazy:

Additionally I would note that your preload appears to have been adjusted given where the arrow is presently pointing so I would suggest that you figure out how many turns in/out it is and whether that is appropriate for you. Personally I’d also ensure that the DSS settings are back at default for each ride mode and then work from there for your own configuration.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Additionally I would note that your preload appears to have been adjusted given where the arrow is presently pointing so I would suggest that you figure out how many turns in/out it is and whether that is appropriate for you. Personally I’d also ensure that the DSS settings are back at default for each ride mode and then work from there for your own configuration.

Excellent idea!
I'll do that asap.

...any idea how I do that? :confused:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Excellent idea!
I'll do that asap.

...any idea how I correctly set the preload?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Did your bike come with an owner's manual? Full instructions there. I believe that you can download a manual from the Ducati web site. I spent my first summer of ownership dicking around with suspension setting. I ended up with the factory default settings. I weigh 160 pounds without gear. If you are far off that weight you may find settings that work better for you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
To add to the manual and pre-load info..................you are blessed with Skyhook suspension. If you haven't already played with it, try this......when the ignition is on, press down a few seconds on the middle button on the left hand switch block. You will then be able to scroll through different settings indicated by the icon in the round portion of your dash. Single rider (helmet), single with luggage, two people (helmets), etc.
It really does work well.

Switching modes works on the fly while riding also, just like the engine maps (Sport, Touring, etc).

·
Registered
357 Posts
...any idea how I correctly set the preload?
If you're not familiar with how to set up suspension, I'd suggest reading a book first; Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible is very good, and quite technical in places. And the manual for the bike so you're familiar with navigating the setup menu -- I did not find the manual helpful for finding optimal settings.

The process starts with setting sag correctly and this is where preload, front and rear, is adjusted. It really depends on your weight, with gear, to get this right and the bike has to be powered up for the suspension to be active. For the SkyHook, I've read mixed reports on riders success at getting to what might be considered optimal sag, a number have said they found it impossible. You'll need a friend to help, or to visit a shop to get this done "perfectly", or just go with the defaults to start.

As a clean starting point, I would reset the electronic DSS settings to default under the Setup menu, which is actually quite a lengthy process as you must select the ride mode, then the luggage load out (single rider for just you), then reset to default for each of the four modes. For the forks, I've again seen mixed answers as to the default; on my 2014, the adjustment nut on the top of the right fork leg from the factory was all the way out (anti-clockwise), the lowest setting, and on a 2014 this is 10 turns out from maximum preload. Keep the two arrows aligned if you adjust it, i.e. don't do half turns. Someone here posited that the first 3 turns in from minimum did little to change the set up and I'm inclined to agree.

As @Jeff_Tippett says, the defaults work well for many people. I have tweaked my rear preload, minimum in Urban as I'm pretty short so this makes it easier around town with stop/starts, a few clicks different from default for the other modes according to a process that is more trial and error than science. I've also increased the front and rear compression/rebound settings by one stop in all modes as that just works better for me (cured some chatter and problems over certain bumps). Because this is an electronic system, the more fine grained controls on other suspension settings are missing - for example separate compression and rebound damping, or low and high speed compression damping - plus the system behaves a little differently in each of the ride modes. So while all the basics are the same as the books describe, you don't have quite the same adjustment options.

Others may chime in here with their experiences, plus you can search the forums for various threads on suspension on Multistrada's although not all are Skyhook related.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. I just figured it would be based on weight, and therefore there would be a chart saying if you weigh ___ use setting ___

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did your bike come with an owner's manual? Full instructions there. I believe that you can download a manual from the Ducati web site. I spent my first summer of ownership dicking around with suspension setting. I ended up with the factory default settings. I weigh 160 pounds without gear. If you are far off that weight you may find settings that work better for you.
It did. I'll go through it.

I'm pretty impressed with all that it came with. The 3rd cylinder lock was there, the owners manual, red key (surprised they still use that in 2015), and something called a DDS MAP KEY (whatever that is), and the baffle for the termi (no screw though).

Trying to find the right screw for the baffle. I believe it is an M5 allen head, but IDK what length. Guess I'll just go to ACE and buy a few different lengths.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Interesting. I just figured it would be based on weight, and therefore there would be a chart saying if you weigh ___ use setting ___
Nah, that'd be too helpful. I've not found any real details of how the electronics work and, having pulled the left leg apart to replace a fork seal, I'm still none the wiser.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts