Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a used 2012 Diavel Carbon Red that came with a red key, and I know/changed the PIN access.
The black transmitter key was smashed (Got run over many times) so I bought a new black transmitter key from Ducati and tried to get it programmed without success due to the inability of the bike to read the red passive key.

Now when I first got it the red key worked. You would place it near the antenna under the seat and push and release the button on the console and a picture of the Diavel displays and continues to boot up and hit the starter button and it fired up. Now for some reason the bike will not read the red passive key. It just goes straight to the pin screen when trying to use the red key. I must have used the red key about 10 times successful until I rode it down to the dealer and then I only got the bike to read it once and could not repeat it for the dealer.

So, I was just curious if anybody else has ever had an issue like this before. I was thinking of disconnecting my battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting again to reboot the ecu and see if that refresh would get the red passive key working again.

Thanks for any help,
Randy D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello,

I bought a used 2012 Diavel Carbon Red that came with a red key, and I know/changed the PIN access.
The black transmitter key was smashed (Got run over many times) so I bought a new black transmitter key from Ducati and tried to get it programmed without success due to the inability of the bike to read the red passive key.

Now when I first got it the red key worked. You would place it near the antenna under the seat and push and release the button on the console and a picture of the Diavel displays and continues to boot up and hit the starter button and it fired up. Now for some reason the bike will not read the red passive key. It just goes straight to the pin screen when trying to use the red key. I must have used the red key about 10 times successful until I rode it down to the dealer and then I only got the bike to read it once and could not repeat it for the dealer.

So, I was just curious if anybody else has ever had an issue like this before. I was thinking of disconnecting my battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting again to reboot the ecu and see if that refresh would get the red passive key working again.

Thanks for any help,
Randy D
Well,
I decided to get back on this problem. I’ve just been using the pin code for the past two years.
The bike will not read the “red” passive key still. I contacted a Ducati dealer in Fresno and explained my situation and they talked to Ducati Tech to try and help me out.
Great guy to talk with but he came back and said that according tonDucati,nthere was nothing they could do with the red key not working, even with knowing the attached red key code. The Ducati Tech guy did say that I might be able to get the red key duplicated by a place in Oregon but he didn’t know the name of the company. Even the Fresno CA d
Hello,

Thanks for any help,
Randy D
Back to trying to solve this old problem. Thank goodness for the pin.

“Hello Randy,

I spoke with my Ducati rep today and since your red key has stopped working there is no way to reprogram the key. In order to get new keys we would need to replace your lockset and hands free device.

My rep did mention that there was a company located in Oregon that could clone your red key and possibly get it to work with your current setup. Unfortunately he did not know the name of the company and I spent some time looking but was unable to locate the name as well.

Hopefully you are able to locate the company and save some money. If you are interested in replacing the items that Ducati recommends please let me know.

Thanks”

the Diavel comes with the “hands free” system, same as some Multis. Does anyone in the great northwest know of the place the Ducati Tech is talking about where I could try and get my red key duplicated?

Thanks,
Any help is appreciated,

Randy D

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would venture a guess and say it's the Handsfree system that's bad and not the red key.....not a very robust system, unfortunately

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would venture a guess and say it's the Handsfree system that's bad and not the red key.....not a very robust system, unfortunately
Thanks for your input. It’s very much appreciated. I see that the Multistrada has had quite a few issues with their HF System.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm pretty sure the MS uses the same HF system as the Diavel. The HF system on my 2015 Diavel has had issues since day one. The Steering Lock (also part of the HF system from what I understand) had intermittent issues and eventually quit working all together. Then the black button under the dash quit working as well so I can't use the PIN code to start the bike. But, the bike still starts with both the key fob and the red key so I haven't bothered to mess with it just yet.

I managed to clone a Ducati key (black) for my 1198SP a couple of years ago. Just bought a blank from e-bay and the girl at the key counter at Lowe's was able to clone it for free in a few seconds. Not a single "Professional" lock smith could clone it - it was absolutely impossible according to the 6 I visited around the greater Phoenix area but, an 18 year old girl with no lock smithing experience at all managed to clone it with the press of a button. So, if you find the correct blank, take it Lowe's and ask if they can clone it for you. Don't tell them it's for a Ducati - just ask if they can clone it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts