Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2000 996, and i love it. a friend of mine was thinking of purchasing a 749 dark, and was asking me how it compared to most of the japanese 600 inline 4's of today...power/performance wise.

i've not tried one, so i couldn't tell him honestly, hoping some kind soul here will inform me so i can relay the info to him =)

oh. on top of how it performs against a japanese 600...is there any problems he should be looking out for (kinda similar to problems such as the flywheel's on 996's, rockers on anything before 998's....etc)

thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts

YA, I NEVER HAD AN I-4 BUT ALL I CAN SAY IS DANG! MY 749D IS HOT. SO I JUMP ON IT AND THERE IS NO HESITATION IN POWER. IT PULLS UP TO 80+MPH IN LOW GEARS AND CAN JUMP OFF THE LINE PRETTY FAST WHEN I SPOT A SLUGGERED 1000!!!! DEFFENETLY DESPISED BY OTHERS BUT ALLWAYS ENVIED IN THERE HEARTS. THIS ADVICE TO YOUR FRIEND IS SIMPLE ...SAVE A FEW MORE DOLLARS, STEP UP TO THE 749R. I'M SURE MANY OTHERS WILL TELL YOU WHY! MY OPINION, ITS WORTH HAVING A EXTRA GALLION IN THE TANK!!!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Honestly its heavier and down a little on power compared to the current crop of 600cc hyper sports out there. You won't win a drag race against one. The bike is very tall geared stock. It needs a +2 or 3 rear sprocket to get the full power. As to reliability you'll find it far exceeds your 996. I have almost 21K miles on mine with only a couple of minor problems and a weird failure of my front master cylinder that was not common to the model. Very good bikes but still need the 6K valve check. That's the bad, here's the good. It may be down on power but that power is spread over a broader base. My 749 base will stomp a bloody mud hole in any 600 in the mid range. Now once we get up to their power band I have to work to keep up. The nice thing is you can get caught in a corner one gear high and use that torque to pull you through. Try that on a 600 and you'll think you dropped a boat anchor. Its much more stable than the 600s I’ve ridden but that comes with the cost of being a little heavier to steer and transition. One other thing the D has a down rated suspension and no steering dampener or mounts. If he can swing it move up to the base. I think the better suspension is worth it but the D is still a nice piece. All 749’s could do with lighter wheels the stock ones are a bit chubby.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks cebrian, i'll relay that wonderful info. =) Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well if you are new to sportbikes...Get a Japanese 600 since they are very reliable and less maintenance...But If you love Exotics buy a Duc...Buy the base 749 or a 749s if you can....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts