Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent today prepping: off with the shorty screen, on with the Aztec spacers, toll tag lashed to mirror, bags stuffed with clothing, food, rain suit and bivy sack. All devices charged and I picked up a nifty USB charger for $30 to keep everything juiced up.

Leaving Boston before dawn, hope to hit NYC after rush hour. I may be delusional about making Lexington, KY by dusk. I did a 9-hour day around Quebec and felt pretty fresh, but I don't know about 15-hours straight through, I'm still new to long-distance touring. If the brain gets foggy, I'll definitely pull over.

My wife has accepted that I'm going, but still doesn't get why I want to do it. I'm having a hard time articulating it myself. Mid-life crisis? Maybe. Feels more like mid-life-now-I-can-afford-the-time-and-toys. Sitting still seems more risky.

OK turning in early, hope I can sleep!

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm jealous. I am getting antsy after my Alaska trip ended in July.

Take time to smell the roses, and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good luck and when you get back - give me a shout and maybe we can get a MTS ride in before winter.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Best of luck on your trip! To cover lots of miles, keep on the bike as much as possible. Keep the fuel stops as short as possible. It is easy for them to turn in to 15-30 minutes stops and they add up.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Ride safe and have a good trip.

CSIMON
Id be up for a MA MTS ride any time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Spent today prepping: off with the shorty screen, on with the Aztec spacers, toll tag lashed to mirror, bags stuffed with clothing, food, rain suit and bivy sack. All devices charged and I picked up a nifty USB charger for $30 to keep everything juiced up.

Leaving Boston before dawn, hope to hit NYC after rush hour. I may be delusional about making Lexington, KY by dusk. I did a 9-hour day around Quebec and felt pretty fresh, but I don't know about 15-hours straight through, I'm still new to long-distance touring. If the brain gets foggy, I'll definitely pull over.

My wife has accepted that I'm going, but still doesn't get why I want to do it. I'm having a hard time articulating it myself. Mid-life crisis? Maybe. Feels more like mid-life-now-I-can-afford-the-time-and-toys. Sitting still seems more risky.

OK turning in early, hope I can sleep!

Awesome man , have a great trip . I just got back from hitting the snake and the Dragon with my wife and closest friends . What a great time , the snake is a really cool ride . Have fun and be sure to post up plenty of pics .

·
Registered
423 Posts
Looks great- you are taking a lot more stuff than I usually do. That's not a bad thing- it just 'is'.
Be careful of your mental state when you do long hours. I've done 15 hours lots of times, but I don't think I am up for it anymore. When I was about 20, I could ride for 72 hours at a time, but even then I started hallucinating (no, I was not on drugs).
Now...8 hours and I'm done. I accept it. Stay fresh for the fun riding and be careful- we enjoy reading your posts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't do much real LD stuff anymore,but I have to agree will all that's been said. For me later in life I found that the 15 to 20 min rest break at the gas station really helped to wake me up and spurred me on some. If you find yourself REALLY getting tired or groggy, take a break and get some rest. Unless you are on some really tight time schedule or something it just isn't worth gettin in a bad situation because you are tired and/or not thinking straight. Remember the basic safety rules of motorcycling.......Proper mindset!!

Rick

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
That is a fine looking machine and your organization is something to be admired!

When taking long trips in my youth I used to tape a little piece of paper around one of the spokes that had a mantra on it (om mani padme om), to recreate a Tibetan prayer wheel so that each turn of the wheel sent another prayer out. I'm not a Buhddist and never really was, but the act of doing it acknowledged that I was setting out on an uncertain journey and that I should be careful. It always worked for me as I'm still here and riding but these days I just bring extra cash and I am looking for different things than I was then:D

Have a blast! I'm sure you will.

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, the words of encouragement (and jealousy) mean a lot to me. Woke up spontaneously at 2am, should be rolling by 3. Only taking my phone but if I can figure out how to post with it will update as able, otherwise when I get back.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Dragon hazards

Xtreme Sports Photography at PhotoReflect.com - The Dragon Oct. 16th, 2012 Tuesday

The sequel (from Ducati.Org):

The Corvette driver is on our forum and by the time he realized the Triumph was overshooting he was aiming as far to the outside as he could. Next thing he knew, airbags.

The downside to this is that the clean-up was poorly done and all the fluids were left on the backside of the blind apex. One of our locals, a 62 year old ex-racer, was cruising through at-speed and lowsided sending him flying off the mountain. If it wasn't for two guys still at the site he'd not have made it.

So, because someone was watching a photographer and wrecked, the chain of events led to our 62 year old friend having numerous broken ribs, collapsed lungs, back and neck broken, and a variety of other injuries and this is a guy who's relaxed warm-up pace would leave the vast majority of us to shame.

·
Registered
836 Posts
That is a sad story. He started turning, but then touched down, must have decided to brake, stood up and never tried to turn anymore, could have made it if he had continued to turn. Shame.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Some pretty amazing pictures of what NOT to do on a motorcycle. Clearly the gent on the bike was mentally geared to getting his picture taken and not riding his bike. He had his head and eyes off the roadway for quite awhile and it cost him dearly along with the Vette owner. I can't tell what his actual speed is, but if he touched hard parts at speed in the curve it probably scared him and he tried to brake/slow down/stand the bike up which just wasn't in the cards at that point. His only option after this scenario started was to stay in the curve and try to ride through it. Just my opinion.

Rick

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Best, simple advise I've heard: Always look through the corner to the where you want the bike to go and never give up the curve.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Best, simple advise I've heard: Always look through the corner to the where you want the bike to go and never give up the curve.
Street or track - that's damn good advice.

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well that was a long ride.

Left Boston at 3am sharp, arrived here at my sister-in-laws in Lexington, KY at 6pm sharp. 953 miles in 15-hours. Took T-bills advice, minimized time on stops. Crossing the Tappan Zee bridge light was just beginning to show on the horizon in the rear view. Some gorgeous highway riding through Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Hope it's not too crazy crowded along the Snake tomorrow, and The Dragon/Cherohala Skyway on Wednesday.

Tragic chain of events described above. I'll be keeping it way within limits.

Somebody's tag line is "when in doubt, lean more". Good advice. Also, "eyes on the road".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts