Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings everyone,

I recently got myself a 996sps after a long search (something like 7 years).
Used to own a 916 biposto but I understand they are both different in character in terms of performance.
Having ridden the SPS I can't but agree.

I understand it has to do with the cams which are different and the sequential dual injectors (2nd injector) which come into play at higher rpms. I am particularly interested to know at which rpm does the second injector actually work?
My searches show some claiming at 5000 onwards, others 6-6500 but which is correct and how can one tell?
The bike is basically stock as far as I know.

Thank you for your replies :)

Great to be back on a Duc.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the second injector is switched on at a specific pulse width, not an rpm number. i think it was pretty low on them, about 4ms, which is most of the time in reality. it has absolutely nothing to do with how the engine feels.

it's faster than a 916 because it has 80 more cc, better cams and bigger valves. change the cam timing and they're lovely.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Yeah, dual vs sequential is window dressing. Heck, my "851" (basically a high comp breathed-on 996 SPS motor) is using single injector throttle bodies from the ST4S donor, though the injectors were bored for more flow.

Congrats on the SPS. Brad knows his shit--get the cams timed at the next service.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the second injector is switched on at a specific pulse width, not an rpm number. i think it was pretty low on them, about 4ms, which is most of the time in reality. it has absolutely nothing to do with how the engine feels.

it's faster than a 916 because it has 80 more cc, better cams and bigger valves. change the cam timing and they're lovely.
Hi Brad,

Thanks for clearing my misconception. You are doing Impressive work! :cool:

Yeah, dual vs sequential is window dressing. Heck, my "851" (basically a high comp breathed-on 996 SPS motor) is using single injector throttle bodies from the ST4S donor, though the injectors were bored for more flow.

Congrats on the SPS. Brad knows his shit--get the cams timed at the next service.
Hi nine16,

I like your term window dressing..lol.
nice collection of bikes you have too!:grin2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts