Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Want to take off the clutch basket on my 999r tomorrow so I can remove the side case to have the clutch case vented.

Any tip on how to get the "big Bolt" (size??) holding the basket in place off the easiest way?

Is it standard thread or reverse?

Also, when I removed the pressure plate the push rod was fixed to it and had light amounts of fluid on the slave side. Is this normal?

I guess I should get a new slave cylinder??

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Nut size is 32mm. Some people have said that you can get it loose with an impact driver without the holding tool. I made a holding tool out of old clutch plates and used a torque wrench. Don't make the mistake I made in my first attemt to get the nut loose. The studs that the pressure plate bolts to are not strong enough to use, I broke one off trying to use them to hold the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
You might be able to get it off with an impact, as stated before. But if it is not off in a few seconds, well, get a tool.

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas. You guys are great.

Is it normal to have fluid on the pushrod at the slave end?

My neighbor has an impact wrench. I'll try that.

When putting the nut back on, do I use an impact also? What about torque setting?

Is there no way to hold down the rear brake lever enough to lock the basket?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Fluid, is it oil or brake fluid?
The rear brake may stop the basket from turning, but because the pressure plate is removed the clutch won't hold the drum.
Torque for "Dry clutch drum nut" - 190Nm +/-10%

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again....looks like I'll have to but a wrench. I should be able to get her off, while the side case is out getting vented, I'll order a wrench for the site mentioned above. By the time I get the case back, I'll have the wrench.

The oil is brake fluid on the push rod.

I might as well change out the slave also, which one is the best bang for the buck? This is going on a 999r Fila that I'm doing up for show and tell!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey Brian,

If you like I could stop by the "pug ranch" with my tools tomorrow morning and break it loose for you. All you need is the holding tool and a long 3/4" breaker bar and the nut will pop right off.

The clutch holding tool is a must have for your tool box if you like wrenching on your Fila.

Hmmm.....The Ducati Concourse at Laguna Seca ??? I had a funny suspicion you were up to no good ! I might see you there with my bike if I can get it together in time.

As far as clutch slaves go, they are all pretty comparable with a 29mm or 30 mm bore. For aesthetics (show bike) I personally think the newer STM stile in red or blue is gorgeous but pricey. The Oberon from Moto is a great value for your money and good looking. Not to fond of the Evoluzione brand's aesthetics. NCR makes one that is sweet($$$) and I've used the German MPL with good results - affordable and effective. For your bike I would definetely go with a blue 30mm STM.

Anyhow, let me know if you need a hand early morning tomorrow.

Take care,
Pete

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The slave is typically swapped out to decrease the force needed to pull the clutch lever. The distance of pull increases however.

The larger the internal diameter the greater the reduction (28.5mm, 25% reduction; 30.5mm, 35%).

If you are buying the slave as bling, just pick one you think is pretty.

·
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Brian,

If you like I could stop by the "pug ranch" with my tools tomorrow morning and break it loose for you. All you need is the holding tool and a long 3/4" breaker bar and the nut will pop right off.

The clutch holding tool is a must have for your tool box if you like wrenching on your Fila.

Hmmm.....The Ducati Concourse at Laguna Seca ??? I had a funny suspicion you were up to no good ! I might see you there with my bike if I can get it together in time.

As far as clutch slaves go, they are all pretty comparable with a 29mm or 30 mm bore. For aesthetics (show bike) I personally think the newer STM stile in red or blue is gorgeous but pricey. The Oberon from Moto is a great value for your money and good looking. Not to fond of the Evoluzione brand's aesthetics. NCR makes one that is sweet($$$) and I've used the German MPL with good results - affordable and effective. For your bike I would definetely go with a blue 30mm STM.

Anyhow, let me know if you need a hand early morning tomorrow.

Take care,
Pete
Hey Pete,

Nice to hear from you. I went to Cycle Gear and bought a clutch Basket tool. It was only $31.00. Kind of like vice grips with forks as the clamp. Worked great. Pulled off the side case and am sending it to get vented next week.
Come buy tomorrow morning. Would be nice to see you. I'm in a standstill now as I'm awaiting parts. I"ll get the Blue slave...you and I are on the same page! My friend John who's a member here is helping me with the color choices. I need help on the basket. Some say to go a slipper, but I'll never utilize it as I'll be riding very mellow and taking it to gatherings as you know.
So, I'm thinking a vented case, cool basket, PP, and cover. I like the NCR PP's. May go that route. I was going to get the DP magnesium case but heck, you can't see it with the fairings on. All you can see is the clutch. So I may as well save the $599.00 for the magnesium cover.
John is also helping me with new levers, Master Cylinders, Rotors and Calipers. Stock front end is VERY boring.
Anyone else that lives in Sonoma County is welcome to come by also. PM me for me address.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts