Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick 748 model question

I know its been answered before but I couldn't find the thread.

Which is the best: s, sp or sps?

Im guessing its the last one, what are the major differences and is it worth paying a little bit extra for the step up?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Chris_ said:
Which is the best: s, sp or sps?
neither...the R is the best (barring the rs which isn't reliably streetable)!!! then sps, sp, and s.

the s is basically a standard model with slight suspension upgrades (including the ability to change the headstock angle).

the sp and sps were homologation bikes for racing '99 and prior. upgraded suspension AND motor.

the r is the pinnacle of the homologation race bikes and replaced the sps models starting in '00 with even better motor bits, shower injection, larger airbox, and suspension.

it's only worth paying extra for the step up if YOU think it is.

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
Major diffrences

S = Better suspension then the BiP or E model. lighter 5-spoke marchesini´s, 98hp stock engine. no open exhaust from factory.

SP = Better suspension, Tuned engine with pankl steel conrods, higher compression and other cams. alloy rear subframe, cast-iron brakediscs and Monoposte only. open exhaust from factory. 104 Hp.

SPS = similar to SP but slightly diffrent cams and titanium conrods. Cast-iron discs and Monoposte only. open exhaust from factory. 106 hp.

R = New design engine, other cams, intake and exhaust. from -00 Öhlins front and rear suspension, slipperclutch. Monoposte only. The fastest 748 made roadlegal. 108 hp. open exhaust from factory

Those are the big bits. I´m a little unsure of what year they started with Öhlins on the R, but i believe it was -00. Could possibly be -01.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
hey amullo, what's the new design engine you speak of? i thought all 748 had the desmoquattro donk? either way, if you like to rev em (and if you're into 748s you must) the R is the way to go for sure. what a bike!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the R is the best one I was wondering between the three I had listed since I cant afford the R I just wanted to know the differences between the others. Thanks for all of your replies now I know what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in Germany for the next 4 months and then in Halifax Canada in august for the next few years. If you guys have any links for any 748's in Canada let me know please. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts