Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isaac Newton, during the Great Plague in London, spent a year or so "quarantined" away from school at Woolsthorpe Manor. During that time he came up with early calculus, theory of optics, and a better understanding of gravity and motion.

Since most of us are quarantined to our homes what are you good folks working on to pass the time? Maybe some great mods and upgrades can come from this time in solitude. Or as someone put it: "the streaming on Netflix and PH are about to skyrocket." =)

Please share away.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm setting up a 998 for track use, so amid the typical bolt-ons I'm building a race harness. I started with ECU connectors from a Monster S4 harness and going from there. Found a source for striped wire, too!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm setting up a 998 for track use, so amid the typical bolt-ons I'm building a race harness. I started with ECU connectors from a Monster S4 harness and going from there. Found a source for striped wire, too!
Was that something you were planning on doing already or you started since the quarantine and the quarantine just helped you get going?

·
Official Retired Person
7,300 Posts
I thought I should build several bird houses. Been meaning to do that for a couple of years now. New house and all, you see.

Also really need to attack he oil leak(s) on the '74 Triumph Trident. That motor seems to have been designed with a self changing feature for as much oil as needs to be added after every ride.

Then there's the landscaping work my beautiful bride has dreamed up. Can't say for sure just how many holes I'll be digging but I am sure she knows and she knows where they need to be, as well.

Then there's . . . Well you get the idea. No shortage of projects here!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Was that something you were planning on doing already or you started since the quarantine and the quarantine just helped you get going?
Was planning on the track bike, but build the harness came from quarantine.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I moved my office in the basement to get away from the wife and kid while working from home for the next few weeks....I will be changing oil in three bikes, changing the spark plugs in two bikes and new chain and sprockets on two bikes. Things I planned on doing over the upcoming weekends but now can do it during the week while also working. Also plan on putting new Dunlop Q3 plus on the Paul Smart and taking off the Full Fairings and putting on the mini fairings for a while.

·
Bon Vivant
10,749 Posts
Really getting a lot done on my 1970 Mark 3 350 Desmo restoration. I'm probably only a few days from being finished but waiting for parts for the next couple of days. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70's here so I'll probably ride.

You can read the whole restoration blog here: Ducati restoration

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I have been lucky to become good friends with the guys from Shed X, and now make their wiring harnesses and generally hangout at the shed. They have 3 bikes in the pipeline, so we are geared up to ride out the self-isolation ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I moved my office in the basement to get away from the wife and kid while working from home for the next few weeks....I will be changing oil in three bikes, changing the spark plugs in two bikes and new chain and sprockets on two bikes. Things I planned on doing over the upcoming weekends but now can do it during the week while also working. Also plan on putting new Dunlop Q3 plus on the Paul Smart and taking off the Full Fairings and putting on the mini fairings for a while.
You have no shortage of work to be done, feels good to be productive and get stuff done before the good weather hits.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Not to be outdone , I’m spending most of my time perfecting my combination time travel and faster than light speed wrist watch. I don’t know if there will be a market for it, but it’s fun to just keep my mind busy.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have plenty to do here at home if I actually end up having to stay home. I work for the Air Force though and so long as there are missions flying, I’m working.

I have oil changes to do on my Aprilia and my 996 as well as my GSXR600. Also have to change plugs and air cleaners on the 996. Then there’s the silicone hose kit for the GSXR which also needs a coolant change. All 3 need a chain clean lube and adjust. That’s just the bikes I can actually ride at the moment.

My 900SS restomod is progressing slowly....like a glacial pace slowly. At least there isn’t much more to order for it. The other 3 projects are back burner until the SS is done.

Then there’s the 4 wheel types that need general maintenance too. And the back yard, garage front yard and the shed project I’ve been planning for a couple of years. Come to think of it, quarantine would be good for me ?...surely less work at my actual place of work.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The thermostat on my hooptie took a powder the day before the apocalypse so I decided I might as well fix it along with a host of other maintenance items while we're on voluntary lockdown.

Pulled the supercharger and changed the oil ($40 for 150 ml of supercharger oil, doh), cleaned out the charge air coolers, installed new thermostat, water pump, supercharger belt/idler pulley, serpentine belt/idler pulley, along with new intake seals and new seals for various bits of the cooling system, brake fluid flush, and coolant flush.

It really wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. The only real issue I ran in to was that the drain valve on the lower radiator hose developed a very tiny leak after being used for the first time in it's life. And now that I have to go back in there and replace it, I'm considering upgrading the supercharger and crank pulleys along with a Stage 2 or 3 tune :D

·
Official Retired Person
7,300 Posts
That looks like the same plastic water pump that failed on the 2013 VW CC I had. It was replaced with an all metal one. I was told Audi used it on a couple of engines. Can't speak to longevity of that part as the CC was subsiquently totaled in a non- injury wreck.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
No quarantine. Actually, working more now than before. So, no 'quarantine' projects. Just the same old ones taking the usual 'longer than I want it to take' ones.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It’s most definitely made of plastic but, the original lasted for103,000 miles. It failed but, I actually broke the thing when I missed the 3 pointer in the trash can. This is the first thing I’ve had to fix on the car except for the gas shock for the hood.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Got the hooptie all squared away but, I didn't feel like spending the $4K during the Apocalypse so I decided to give the girl a little face lift while I had the front bumper off. The chrome was flaking off the old grill so I replaced it with one from an RS5....

Have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the original belts on this thing. 103,000 miles and barely a hint of wear. They look practically new - not a crack or nick anywhere...

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Replacing belts is just a fear based plot by the belt companies. Always good for business when you can convince someone to replace a perfectly good part

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I’ve been working in the back yard. I’m running out of mechanic work . I’m not used to neighbors that I can see , so I’ve been planting Stuff in the back so I can no longer see them. Everybody where I live is working in their yard, they have nothing better to do. I ordered a shed so I can get some garage space back but the virus has fouled up the timetable on that. A few mile a day on the bicycle, though it’s hot and boring.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Replacing belts is just a fear based plot by the belt companies. Always good for business when you can convince someone to replace a perfectly good part
Yeah, I'm not usually in a big hurry to replace belts but, I figured it would be a good idea after 100,000 miles...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts