Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, sort of a tire thread, any of you guys using the dunlop qualifiers and what do you think of them, i've been using pilot powers for quite a while and just feel like a change, so if you have used the qualifiers please let me know your thoughts.
have a good one or be good at it

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a set too next change.
I got a coupon with the CSS I just did for a free track day if I buy a set of Qualifiers so it makes sense. Are they any good?

·
Registered
720 Posts
i did the opposite, went from qualifiers to pilot powers and for my money i like the Michelins better! seem to be alittle easier to tip into a corner on pilot powers, i think the rear tire (i run a 180) is more round on the pilot powers than the qualifiers and that probably helps in that regard.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I used the qualifiers on my 748 for a couple of street miles and a track day. Pretty good tire in the dry (decent steer in, stable in corner, pretty confidence inspiring). In the wet i thought they performed pretty poor. They didn't hold up very long on the track, but that was to be expected.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I went with Qualifiers on mine at first. They seemed fine but wanted to either ride on the middle or fall way over, there wasn't a a good spot on the tires for a "little" turn on the street. They stick and stick and stick some more before they let go on the street with little warning. On the track, they were fantastic. I now run BT-016 and find day to day riding better. It transitions to corners, especially mild ones, much better than the Dunlop. It may not stick as much but lets go much more progressively and gives lots of warning. The Dunlops wear fast but I don't have enough time on the BT-016's to comment on that yet.

The Dunlop is also the tallest tire in the 120/70/17 size I have found yet. It is about 10mm larger than most tires in its size and requires some messing with your suspension to get the bike set up just right.

To sum up my experiences, I will use the Bt-016's on the street but keep a set of Qualifiers around for the track.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Street/Track

I've used them for the past two bikes(750M/900SS) and my SS I've gotten 7 Track days out of the front and the rear is still going strong but did replace the front with a Pilot Race for the front and left the Dunlop on the rear for Track days and it handles great!!

My next set for the street will be alway Dunlop gotta love the Pilot Race for Track.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

thanks for the info fella's, i'm gonna try the qualifiers

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I don't have any other experience than with the Qualifiers. I liked them and I felt confident using them. They are lighter than the Michelin's.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My biggest gripe with the Qualifiers was that they simply do not seem to last very long. My wife complained that the feedback from the front tire made the bike occasionally feel like it was sliding when it wasn't. Her GSXR didn't seem to like the front tires but had no problems other than wear with the rear tires, the R1 was indifferent, and my ST2 seemed to be ok with them. My wife ran about four sets while I only ran one. Everyone I know who has run them has complained about how quickly they wear out.

Each of our bikes seem to act and feel differently with different tires. So far, the R1 prefers Michelins, the GSXR love Diablos, my 748 likes Diablos, my ST2 is starting to really like Bridgestone BT-021 tires (especially with a BT-002 front), my wife's ST2 really seems to like the Michelin Pilot Roads that are on it, and the Monster appears to be quite happy with the Michelin Pilot Road II (2ct). We basically run whatever we can find at a good price, so we run a little of everything. The wife is even trying out some Shinkos on her GSXR.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
There are so many variables with different brands of tires that it's really hard to tell what's going on. Things like tire weight, tire profile, and tire pressure can all effect tire performance independent of tire compound and tread pattern. Some tires heat up faster than others, some perform better at colder temperatures, some better when hotter, etc. Unless someone eliminates as many variables as possible, it's very hard to make an objective decision about them. Of course, things like suspension settings, wheel weight and other factors have to be held constant as well to make some kind of objective determination.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i agree

There are so many variables with different brands of tires that it's really hard to tell what's going on. Things like tire weight, tire profile, and tire pressure can all effect tire performance independent of tire compound and tread pattern. Some tires heat up faster than others, some perform better at colder temperatures, some better when hotter, etc. Unless someone eliminates as many variables as possible, it's very hard to make an objective decision about them. Of course, things like suspension settings, wheel weight and other factors have to be held constant as well to make some kind of objective determination.
i totally agree........ but isn't it cool when you can get other peoples experience and opinions

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love those tires. They work very well on the track. I don't care much how many miles they can cover. If over 4500km it is enough for me. I love the grip which they offer on the track. When they get too hot they start to slip a bit, but still they are under control. They won't loose grip without a good warning and that is most important thing to me. Very good tyre for occasional trackdays.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a set of the Dunlop Qualifiers mounted on my 900SS (rear is basically wore out right now) and I have run many sets of the Pilot Powers. I used the Qualifiers on my 750ss at a track day and then removed them to install them on my 900SS street bike. I also did a California Superbike school two day camp using the school Kawasaki 636 and the Qualifier tires.

These are great tires. They feel different than the powers, firmer but with really good feedback. At VIR we were riding in the upper 90s and while I am not a fast guy, I was doing fast enough laps to pe one of the fastest level 4 students. I did get to the point where the tires got greasy and were sliding but I felt very confident in them. I give the edge in on the limit feel to the Qualifiers over the Power.

I think (but can not confirm as certain) that the ultimate grip on a dry track is better on the Qualifier compared to the Power. I do use the Power on my 750ss track bike to do instructor duty with STT and have ridden VIR with that setup as well. The traction of the Power is excellent and in most cases, beyond what I can really ride. There is no doubt that I do go faster on my 748 with race rubber but a lot of that is likely mental confidence and feel.

On the street, either tire has more performance than is needed IMO. The Power is my clear choice when the road (or track ) is wet.

The power seems to wear close to 50% longer in my use on our twisty, abrasive mountain roads. My next set of new tires for the 900ss will be the Powers. Before that, I am mounting a set of BT 016 tires that I did a track day on...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts