Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,
First let me wish you, your families and friends a Happy and ''rideous'' New Year.
Due to maturity. I have decide to try and modify the top triple of my ST4s ( new style) and install one that may hold a handle bar.
I have read a few messages and I am under the impression that the best mod is a top triple clamp with a bar from a Monster S4R or S2R ( I am not sure which engine capacities though).
If any one has done that mod can you please post info on differences compared to standard and if hydraulics and electrical cables fit well in the new set up?
I Know that LSL and or Spiegler has ready made set ups, but I wouldn't like to spend money on a modification that I may not like.
As another alternative I think that the top triple and handle bar from Multi 1000 or 1100 may do the job, but I have doubts about the length of my lines to fit.
I am OK to replace the hydraulic lines but It would be difficult to replace the left and right switches and cables if they need to be.

I would appreciate your thoughts and or recommendations very much.

Kind regards
Stelios

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've recently completed this conversion on my 01 st4 which has the earlier style upper fairing.
I used a top triple tree from an 05 monster 620 but believe all the later monster triples will fit.
I had to grind of the gauge mounts from the triple because they touched the digital gauge on my bike at full lock.
I also had to space the triple up 5mm to allow the handbars to clear the fork preload adjusters. I used a renthal road low handlebar which just clears the fairing with careful adjustment. Clutch hose was fine as was wires to switches and fast idle cable. Front brake lines replaced with 30mm longer which works well but if I did it again I'd go 50mm longer because the extra length would allow a little more slack in the lines.
The factory Bar ends can be made to fit using longer bolts and some rubber hose.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Some pics.
Btw, I did bend the brake and clutch reservoir brackets slightly to clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Turbomart

thank you very much for the info and pictures.
What is your impression of the new riding position?
Especially if you have ridden her in twisties and B roads.

I understand that the new fairing style may need some other modifications to make the yoke and handle bar fit. The brake and clutch containers are also different , so no bending is possible in my case, but the fairing may provide some more clearance.
Thanks again

·
Registered
543 Posts
Im confused? What is the advantage to this mod versus the 3/8 inch spacers which is shown here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is not about raising the clipon or bars so much, but bringing the bar towards the rider, so you get a more vertical riding position.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I previously had spacers under the original clip on style bars and this mod brings the bars up by another couple of inches and brings them further back. It also flattens out the angle quite a bit.
At first after the mod it felt very strange, like riding a street fighter, but now I'm used to it and it's very comfortable. Just need to sort out/ fine tune my seat now so that I don't keep sliding into the tank.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Btw , riding the twisties I like the taller bar setup. It might not technically be as good for front tyre weight etc but it actually feels more confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Btw , riding the twisties I like the taller bar setup. It might not technically be as good for front tyre weight etc but it actually feels more confidence inspiring.
Agreed, especially in bad weather.

Generally I find it easier to move the bike around, don't feel as 'fixed' in position, looking into the corners, moving back/forward as well as side to side.
Varying the pressure on the bars is also easier if you are not supporting yourself on them.

Town riding is much more relaxed too, you don't have to lean over/sit up each time you stop/go.

Am using the Monster top yolk with mid height Renthal bars (ST2). Had previously used risers but they didn't seem to make much difference to standard.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It is not about raising the clipon or bars so much, but bringing the bar towards the rider, so you get a more vertical riding position.
Gotcha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input

HTML:
Am using the Monster top yolk with mid height Renthal bars (ST2).
Derky944
Which model monster's triple tree are you using?
Any possibility of pictures?

Stelios

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Ducati dad
It looks nice, but their site is not responding.
As per my initial post, at this stage I don't want to spend a lot of money, before I decide that I like the new set up, ergo's first and looks second.
That's why I am trying to see if a used upper yoke from a S4R will do the job and then finalise the mod.
From other info I gathered, it seems that Cyclecat is out of the business.
If I am lucky I might find a used one for a rational price.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm fairly sure and s4r monster triple will fit. You will also probably need extended brake lines unless you have a couple inches slack in your lines now with no weight on front tyre. Otherwise everything else can be swapped over. The Bar ends need a longer bolts nuts and some rubber hose, 1/4" if memory serves.
If you have a spare set of handlebars you can pop them on just to try.

·
Registered
67 Posts
... You will also probably need extended brake lines unless you have a couple inches slack in your lines now with no weight on front tyre ...
On 'bikes with ABS the line from the master cylinder runs rearwards towards the ABS unit, and not downwards directly to the calipers. Means that the brake line does not place any practical limitation on fitting risers etc.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turbomart
thank you. I have longer brake lines. The hard part is to get the s4r upper yoke.
Duly noted about the longer bolts and rubber hose for the bar ends.

Ducati_Mark
thank God No ABS. Instead I think I have a trained finger. When rain or slippery condition I slow down.

If anyone has knowledge of an S4R top triple for sale please give me a note.

Thanks again to all.
Stelios

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
If anyone has knowledge of an S4R top triple for sale please give me a note.

Thanks again to all.
Stelios
Post a WTB ad in the accessories area of the Classified ads.

UR talking to ST'ers here. It's not like we all own(ed) S4R's

·
Registered
387 Posts
Stelios

Can't remember which monster it was that the yolk came from but picture attached. As you can see the bars aren't the only mod, (it is/was a ST2 honestly).

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
... If anyone has knowledge of an S4R top triple for sale please give me a note ...
I "think" a S2R "steering head" (Ducati's term for the top yoke in its English language parts manuals) will also meet your need, but check with others.

Ebay is you friend. Scanning the results of this search on ebay autos - (s4r,s2r) (triple,yoke,steering,head) - should pick up any that is listed. You may need to add in suitable translated terms as well. A quick scan of the "solds" in the US says here you should be able to pick one up between $60 and $70. Not sure how you'll fare in Greece, but you should be able to find something in the EU without shipping killing a deal. Good luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Derky944

that's a nice clean look for your ''former'' ST2, at least for the upper part.
How does it feel riding her like that? I presume it's an everyday bike.

Ducati _Mark

it is not that easy to find the part. I have searched a bit and the results are not very encouraging. There are many variations of the monsters top triple clamps, others with lower bar clamps and others with higher. Some have the bar clamps molded others as a separate part.
Most are sold without the bar holding clamps.

Stick
I will follow your suggestion and put an ad in the classifieds section and see what it may bring.
Thanks again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts