Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experiences with 999/749 PVM magnesium wheels.
Are they good, bad, weak, heavy or what ?
I have seen a set of near new 17" rims advertised for $1500US, which in comparison to a set of the same in Marchesini is around halve price.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Thats a hellava price.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I keep getting told to stay away from them. The magnesium wheels did tend to break. None of my mates is going to buy them again.

A guy I raced with once took a new set out of the box and didn´t make it out of pitlane.

To be fair, it might only happen every now and then. But then, they really have a bad reputation over here for cracking.

This only applies to the magnesium wheels by PVM. I haven´t heard anything like this about their aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure on PVM wheels, but it's also worth checking out carrozzeria wheels. Much cheaper than Marchesini and roughly the same weight. I know you can get some forged ones brand new for around $1600 for the pair. I want to put some red ones on my white 848

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The Carrozzeria wheels are not in the same leaque as the Marchesini wheels in finish and design details but are priced a bit less.

Check out the OZ Racing Forged Alum Front Wheels. Magnesium wheel weights with aluminum durability and pricing. These wheels were created by ex-Marchesini engineers.

-M

·
Registered
224 Posts
WOW I like the BST carbon fiber wheels. The hell with the forged one's.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Not sure about the PVM-mag wheels, but I've been extremely happy with their forged Aluminum wheels on my 996, The machining is incredible, super light, many happy miles, and they balance out with hardly any weights added.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I would be intending to use them for racing only and interesting to read that the Ben710, who recommends to stay away, posted from Germany. The wheels are advertised there and I guess the price reflects the reputation.
As usual .... you get what you pay for.

I'm leaning to the Oz Al wheels now .... seems like the best value for money in race terms. C/f would be wonderful but just too expensive for me plus I witnessed a buddies c/f rim get destroyed in a pretty innocuous race crash.
The sick feeling I/we get when we go down in a race and then bounce up to quickly asses damage is bad enough without having to worry about squillion dollar rims getting totalled.

Having said that, and touch wood, I've used Mg rims on my previous race bikes for years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yeah, those OZ wheels are REALLY nice!!!
And quality Aluminum wheels can be straightened "safely".
Cast Mag wheels are also very nice, but I like the option of fixing once or twice, before they go to the dumpster.....

Thanks guys. I would be intending to use them for racing only and interesting to read that the Ben710, who recommends to stay away, posted from Germany. The wheels are advertised there and I guess the price reflects the reputation.
As usual .... you get what you pay for.

I'm leaning to the Oz Al wheels now .... seems like the best value for money in race terms. C/f would be wonderful but just too expensive for me plus I witnessed a buddies c/f rim get destroyed in a pretty innocuous race crash.
The sick feeling I/we get when we go down in a race and then bounce up to quickly asses damage is bad enough without having to worry about squillion dollar rims getting totalled.

Having said that, and touch wood, I've used Mg rims on my previous race bikes for years and never had a problem.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Hey, Moto, I don't mean to be a pill but you've been pimping those wheels for months ... when are we gonna see some photos of the SSSA version?!? :confused:

Has Motowheels taken delivery of any of those wheels yet? Got any in-house photos of these on any bikes ... or on display ... or ... anything?

C'mon, man ... let the pictures do the selling ... like the Dymag vs. BST photos you posted on one of my past threads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts