Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk about making supersports lighter from the factory, I'm wondering what everyone has done to their bike to shave a few pounds?

Pre-99 and post-99, please let us know which one you have and what all you've done.

Personally, I've got an 02. Ducati Performance high-mount carbon cans. Removed the charcol canister. Galfer Rotors front and rear. Carbon front fender. LED turn signals. Removed the rear mud guard. (Yea, I know, the last few don't remove much, but it's something I'm sure).

Not sure how much weight I've removed all total...but it's something.

What about y'all? What have y'all done? Wondering IN REALITY, what else I can do to help shed the pounds.

·
Registered
231 Posts
JDuc,

What's your view on the Galfer rotors? How much lighter are they and and there any improvement in braking feel and power?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are lighter, I know that much, but I didn't weigh them.

They claim 1.5 lb. per side on the fronts...I would say that's accurate based on how they felt....but nothing concrete.

as for breaking feel....absolutely....some people don't like it, I love it. It requires so little pull, and such little effort, it's very nice. Some people don't like that though. I have one finger breaking, heck, you could call it one finger nail breaking. I also have the ducati performance levers on there and that made a pretty substantial difference. The combo has made it so all I have to do is tap the break and I'm slowing down. For someone coming off of a bike with breaks that aren't as sensitive, they would probably hate it, because it would be too much.

Hope this answers your question!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Galfer rear rotor at the same time and from the same place as the fronts...

Parts Unlimited from a local dealership. They gave me a better price on rotos and pads than any place I had foudn online.

I'ma look into that tank, thanks for posting it!

·
Super Moderator
8,248 Posts
JDuc said:
With all the talk about making supersports lighter from the factory, I'm wondering what everyone has done to their bike to shave a few pounds?
I don´t have a SS, but my Superbike has been through a diet.
*Mag-wheels - easily the most noticable improvment in handling.
*CF Exhaust - both lighter and giving the engine abit more rumble and power
*CF and aviofiber fairings - decreases weight and is easier on the budget if you put it down..
*lighter clutchbasket and alu(alloy)/kevlar clutchplates - engine revs easier with reduced weight.

The bike already had an alloy rear subframe and lighter flywheel (SP standard)
All in all.. I figure the weight has dropped by about 10-15 kg´s (~30-40 lbs) as opposed to how it was delivered from the factory.

Further steps are starting to become expensive.. Lighter swingarm´s, triple tree, CF-gastank and then start replacing steel and alloy´s for titanium and magnesium.. Replacing the "heavy" headlight incl. mountingbracket should save alittle..

//amullo

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Done or ordered:

Sil CF mufflers.
ETI-fuelcel.
CF fenders, belt-covers, license-plate holder and fairing.
220g flywheel.
Slipper clutch.
BST wheels.
Aluminum rear sprocket.
Remove blinkers.

To be ordered:

Brake disks (probably CMC fron, titanium rear)
Titanium spring

Next year:

Engine internals

Tom

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
xseal said:
http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/

minus 9 lbs for a fuel cell.

Where did you get the Gafler rear rotor? Any chance you know the part #?
that's some serious CHA-CHING....but damn impressive....for my bike...it seems to be lighter and hold more fuel per their claim.....makes me wonder for sure!

·
Registered
722 Posts
my 99 900 ss: Carbon cans, small battery, lightened flywheel, lighter disks (Superbike Snow Flake not the ABM rotors I really want!) Carrozeria wheels. Light license plate holder. Penske Shock. That is about all I can come up with with out making the thing into something I don't want. I have a new scale that is accurate but have not had time to check it the bike. I think I saved 25 lbs as a minimum. The cans were about 6-8 the flywheel was 2 rotors and wheels about 8, the shock was a couple pounds less the battery is 6 lbs less. I was thinking about takeing the sound padding out of the faring but the bike is loud enough!

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
I weighed both tanks, it is 9lbs lighter. And it holds 19l from bone-dry to full, so a bit over 18l usable.

Tom

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
This is what I did with my '96 SS/SP. Lightened flywheel, billet clutch basket, Sharkskinz CR fairing, eliminated fuel pump and assorted intake "plumbing" when I installed Keihin 41mm FCR's on Malossi short intakes, air box out & individual foam filters in, replaced stock mirrors with CRG barends, DP CF cans, and went on a diet. The diet didn't work. :( Damned beer!

bruce19

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
st2lemans said:
I weighed both tanks, it is 9lbs lighter. And it holds 19l from bone-dry to full, so a bit over 18l usable.

Tom
is that more or less than factory? and how much of a difference?

btw - has anyone gotten the streamlined tank? wondering how the feel is.

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
Yeah I was wondering the same thing, my belly is getting too big! But at over $1300 US it's a little pricey. I wonder if the black pad/guard on the standard tank can just be removed and if that "re-shapes" the rear of the tank?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
ETI Tank

You can praise/blame me for the ETI tank shape. I asked them to remove the rubber ducky from the rear and the bump on the top surface, to clean up the look. I donated my original steel tank to create the tooling to make the carbon fiber part.

If you take the black rubber piece off the stock tank, you are left with an obvious "void".

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
SS weight reduction

Don't miss the easy solutions, like:
- Remove as much excess material as possible from the cast zinc grab handle assembly
- Remove the emissions hardware (change the crankcase vent to a short hose and K&N filter)
- Replace the steel rear sprocket with alloy
- Remove the second rear fender (close to the tire)
- Remove/replace the heavy rear license plate frame and rear fender extension
- Replace the "glass" lens headlight assembly on early SSs with the 1000SS lexan part

·
Registered
709 Posts
Personally, I think the fuel cells are great...unless you are going to track the bike. The SS [late model,injected] tanks have those big "wings" on them. They are the second thing to hit the pavement in most any type of crash. At least with a steel tank your weekend won't [well, might not] be over. Or you could carry a spare tank to the track. I know someone who runs one, and has ruptured it twice, both times out at the tips. If I could find/afford an aluminum tank, I'd buy it first.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
JDuc said:
is that more or less than factory? and how much of a difference?

btw - has anyone gotten the streamlined tank? wondering how the feel is.
Stock is officially 16l, but I haven't measured it. Don't know if that's total, or usuable. In any case, it's at least 2l more.

The OEM shape fits me fine, so that's what i got.

Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
bruce19 said:
This is what I did with my '96 SS/SP. Lightened flywheel, billet clutch basket, Sharkskinz CR fairing, eliminated fuel pump and assorted intake "plumbing" when I installed Keihin 41mm FCR's on Malossi short intakes, air box out & individual foam filters in, replaced stock mirrors with CRG barends, DP CF cans, and went on a diet. The diet didn't work. :( Damned beer!

bruce19

How did those sharkskin fit? pics? I'm thinking about a set, but heard they don't fit well....

·
Registered
2009 M1100S, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
589 Posts
99 900ssie

Parts/Weight saved
Carbon fender
Exhausts and chip 2500gm
Carbon clutch cover 350gm
Carbon monoposto 2200gm
MPL clutch clave Cyl 130gm
MPL clutch basket 630gm
Marvic mag front wheel 1900gm
Marvic mag rear wheel 2200 gm
Mag valve covers 80gm
Adj cam pulleys 150gm
Flywheel 1300gm
Alu sprockets/520 chain 800gm
Plus all kevlar hoses, cyclecat yokes and SBK TiN fork conversion. Tank pad and sound deadning ripped out! öhlins shock is no lighter than stock, though the koni i had before was 2700 gm lighter and a million times better than the Showa!

weighs in at 193kg/424lbs fully tanked ready to ride. (Approx 170KG ish dry)

i bought the bike new! as new old stock in 2000. cost me 7000euro. with mods i am now at 10500euro. cheap ish fun.

Chris

1 - 20 of 89 Posts