Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Sorry if this is a repost but my original post disappeared somewhere I think.
So I am still rebuilding the 959 and couldn't find a good lower triple. I bought a set of forks with a lower triple that suposedly came from a Panigale v4. Forks look the same, triple fits perfect, but the steering stem is about .5" longer. So it sticks out a bit from the top triple. This doesn't bother me at all, do you think this is an issue or can I just keep it this way?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
If it super stresses you, lift the clamp up. It DOESN’T need the top clamp sit on the bearing adjuster (that’s all it is). The clamp pinch bolt stops it from coming lose.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
If it super stresses you, lift the clamp up. It DOESN’T need the top clamp sit on the bearing adjuster (that’s all it is). The clamp pinch bolt stops it from coming lose.
Lift it and fit a spacer underneath as per (pedal) bike? Alternatively cut the stem, assuming threads etc. are deep enough or can be cut deeper?

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I’d put a spacer under the triple and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I would mill a nice spacer and call it a day as well

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Bah! Pure aesthetics. .........I get it.............. raise the top triple. I can't say whether I'd be arsed over it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome, thanks for all of the replies. Main thing I was worried about is the function of the bike rather then how it looks. The treads are in exact same spot as the old steering stem and just the top after the threads is longer. So theoretically I can leave it as is, go with the spacer, or cut off the top .5" of the steering stem and reuse the old nut.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I’ll say it again. THERE DOESN’T NEED TO BE A SPACER THERE. The pinch bolt on the clamp will stop the bearing tension nut from moving.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I believe he’d be putting a spacer in so the top nut would sit flush, but I’d have to look at it. I’d rather put a spacer under the triple than have a gap , if that’s the way it ends up when the top nut is flush.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
The gap is meaningless. Look at the what the bearing nut does and look at how the pinch bolt on the top clamp HOLDS IT FROM MOVING. It seriously isn’t that complicated to understand. The bearing adjustment is set to the correct tension and unlike most other bikes it doesn’t have a locking nut. THE PINCH BOLT ON THE TOP CLAMP STOPS IT FORM LOOSING TENSION. Jesus!!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
The gap is meaningless. Look at the what the bearing nut does and look at how the pinch bolt on the top clamp HOLDS IT FROM MOVING. It seriously isn’t that complicated to understand. The bearing adjustment is set to the correct tension and unlike most other bikes it doesn’t have a locking nut. THE PINCH BOLT ON THE TOP CLAMP STOPS IT FORM LOOSING TENSION. Jesus!!
Yea! .... what he said! .... Jesus already!

C'mon you guys! Get pissed! Y'all should be REALLY PISSED! What the hell!! I'm mean, Jesus 'n shit! Dayum!!

THE PINCH BOLT ON THE TOP CLAMP STOPS IT FORM LOOSING TENSION. Jesus!!

:rolleyes:

>:) :laugh: :grin2: :nerd:

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I completely understand that it’s not necessary to fill that gap, but I’d do it , there was no gap originally . Big difference between understanding the issue and not agreeing with YOU . Take a pill.

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
The obvious thing to me is that there was no gap there when it was built, so why would you leave one now ? No gap means the nut could not back off, there would physically be no room. Apparently you don’t understand how quickly locking nuts or even double nuts can vibrate loose at the right frequency . You’re the kind of guys that throw “spare “ parts in the tool box after you’re done working on something rather than figuring out what you left out. Then on top of that you have the nerve to criticize someone who would do a more thorough job than you would. Unfortunately for you, one of your crap repairs will come back to bite you in the ass.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I completely understand that it’s not necessary to fill that gap, but I’d do it , there was no gap originally . Big difference between understanding the issue and not agreeing with YOU . Take a pill.
The obvious thing to me is that there was no gap there when it was built, so why would you leave one now ? No gap means the nut could not back off, there would physically be no room. Apparently you don’t understand how quickly locking nuts or even double nuts can vibrate loose at the right frequency . You’re the kind of guys that throw “spare “ parts in the tool box after you’re done working on something rather than figuring out what you left out. Then on top of that you have the nerve to criticize someone who would do a more thorough job than you would. Unfortunately for you, one of your crap repairs will come back to bite you in the ass.
... ouch! ... so harsh. Insulting him is no way to get him to see your side of things, as well as the other folks that advised leaving it alone. Dayum son! Having a bad day today are ya?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Are you for fucking real!! I’ll overlook the insults but clearly you have NO understanding of what I’m talking about. Ducati don’t use a so called lock nut to stop the bearing from coming loose. It uses the clamping force of the pinch bolt on the top clamp. Are you that fucking brainless to not see this?
In the 30 odd years of working on high end bikes and building specials NOT ONE REPAIR THAT I HAVE DONE HAS COME BACK TO BIGHT ME ON THE ARSE. Self-righteous Fuckwit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts