Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Hayden 848. Tonight I hit a stupid dog that my neighbor lets run loose in the neighborhood in violation of county law. Ran right out in front of me, in fact, the damage to the front fender was from the dog hitting it hard enough to crack it and cause the front end to tuck and slide a couple feet to the right, tossing me to the ground.

Anyway, bike went down at low speed, but it needs:

Both mirrors
Tail section plastic(seat and cowl are fine)
Front fender
Gear shift lever
Possibly left footpeg and mount
left clipon

The good news is that the only part of the front fairing that got hit was the center piece. The one that says "Ducati Corse" on it.

The front fairing is comprised of the front, the sides and the bottom cowl. This is the left side center piece only.

Figured as I cannot sleep because my shoulder is in agony, I would kill some time seeing what this might cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sueing seems a tad harsh...

Perhaps if you're on good terms with your neighbor you can bring up this situation to him or her. Most definitely file a police report if it was illegal for the dog to be running around. Best case scenario is that they will cover the cost of your new parts without going into litigation. Insurance is an option, but that will obviously change the title of your bike.

PS, what happened to the poor dog?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps if you're on good terms with your neighbor you can bring up this situation to him or her. Most definitely file a police report if it was illegal for the dog to be running around. Best case scenario is that they will cover the cost of your new parts without going into litigation. Insurance is an option, but that will obviously change the title of your bike.

PS, what happened to the poor dog?
Dunno about the dog, don't care. Could be dead and I wouldn't care, and I have a dog.

The insurance company will be going after the neighbor for the damages and deductible, and if my shoulder injuries are anything more than bruises and pulled muscles, I may retain a lawyer and go after them directly.

They are responsible legally for their dog, as it is against the law to let them run around, and they do it all the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry about the damage to your bike. I don't care about the dog either but the dog was just being a dog.
It's you dumb ass neighbors that think everybody loves thier dog as much as they do that is the problem.
Doucument everything and get witnesses if possible. If your planning on seeking damages for injuries you need to seek medical attention ASAP.

Good Luck
Mike

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about the damage to your bike. I don't care about the dog either but the dog was just being a dog.
It's you dumb ass neighbors that think everybody loves thier dog as much as they do that is the problem.
Doucument everything and get witnesses if possible. If your planning on seeking damages for injuries you need to seek medical attention ASAP.

Good Luck
Mike
Not sure where the dog lives, but I hope the dog and the owner die a slow death of some STD.

Paul up at NPR is taking care of me and working with the insurance company, but it just bums me out.

Not to mention that the motor was running for a good minute or two before I could get up and shut it off, while it was on it's side.

So now I have to worry about any motor damage down the line, on a motor that is no longer covered by warranty. Only had the bikes 5 weeks!

Dave is depressed.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Not sure where the dog lives, but I hope the dog and the owner die a slow death of some STD.

Paul up at NPR is taking care of me and working with the insurance company, but it just bums me out.

Not to mention that the motor was running for a good minute or two before I could get up and shut it off, while it was on it's side.

So now I have to worry about any motor damage down the line, on a motor that is no longer covered by warranty. Only had the bikes 5 weeks!

Dave is depressed.

Thats a real bummer! I hate too tall you even more shitting news, but if it ran while on it's side, it's VERY likly you will have smoked a connecting rod bearing or main bearing! What happens is when the bike is on it's side, the oil pump can not pump any oil (all of it (oil) is on the side of the motor the bike is laying on) so it's pumping air.....and if for only a brief moment, nothing is getting to those bearings, it will "spin" them! This is experence talking! Trust me, it cost me $1500.00 and that was because I took the motor out myself and dropped it off! Tac on another $500 if you bring the bike in!

Only way to tell is when the motor starts to make a slight knocking sound....if you hear it, SHUT IT DOWN!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I can see being pissed @ the neighbor, but why be pissed @ the dog?! I mean really? The dog was just being a dog! It's not like the dog can think though it's actions and know right from wrong here. No matter what people like to think, dogs are as dumb as a box of rocks...how can you hate the dog for existing?

Sucks about your bike, really does. & i surely do hope that your shoulder isn't anything more than a bruise.

Bikes and their parts are replaceable, your life and the life of the dog is not.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hate it bro! I am very curious as to how long it takes to get all the stuff replaced. Bigger question is why is the motor not covered under warranty??? I have the same bike and will be watching to see how this plays out. Sorry man.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can see being pissed @ the neighbor, but why be pissed @ the dog?! I mean really? The dog was just being a dog! It's not like the dog can think though it's actions and know right from wrong here. No matter what people like to think, dogs are as dumb as a box of rocks...how can you hate the dog for existing?

Sucks about your bike, really does. & i surely do hope that your shoulder isn't anything more than a bruise.

Bikes and their parts are replaceable, your life and the life of the dog is not.
I hate that an animal is that dumb that it has no survival instinct that it just runs straight into a large object like that. I have a dog, I love dogs, but sometimes an animal is too stupid to live in my opinion. LOL

Shoulder is feeling better, but is gonna hurt for quite some time I am sure.

I just want my bike back, and now I am paranoid about possible motor damage that may pop up somewhere down the line, and not be covered by warranty, which sucks, as the bike is barely a month old.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hate it bro! I am very curious as to how long it takes to get all the stuff replaced. Bigger question is why is the motor not covered under warranty??? I have the same bike and will be watching to see how this plays out. Sorry man.
I am concerned about warranty because the dealer knows that the bike sat there idling for a good minute or two on its side.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That sux man glad your okay!! How fast were you going? Where I live, in most neighborhoods speed limit is 20-25, so if you were following the speed limit and checking your surroundings, you might have been able to outbrake him or swerve around him.

But hey, I wasn't there so anything could have happend.

·
Registered
369 Posts
A dog of all things. You know, it is just this type of irresponsibility that ruins it for all of us. Serious bummer on the bike, maybe with the crash the amount of time is not as much as it seemed. Good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dunno about the dog, don't care. Could be dead and I wouldn't care, and I have a dog.

The insurance company will be going after the neighbor for the damages and deductible, and if my shoulder injuries are anything more than bruises and pulled muscles, I may retain a lawyer and go after them directly.

They are responsible legally for their dog, as it is against the law to let them run around, and they do it all the time.
How can you not know what happened to the dog? Did you leave the scene after you checked over your bike and self? Did you get a police report? If you knew the guy always lets his dog loose- then you should have been aware. (if this was someone's child who ran out in the street, it would be you who would have to prove your case) I'm not trying to say this guy is not at fault, but there's always two sides to a story.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts