Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure it out.

I never thought I'd be the guy with the Ducati perpetually stuck in the garage, like some poor fellow who’s done the unthinkable and gotten married, or worse yet, had a kid.

Sadly, I've only been riding my 916 around about once a week.

So it was sitting there for a week, as usual, and then when I went over there (I keep it hidden at a condo away from my house), the thing wouldn’t start.

The headlight didn’t even come on.

So I did what any insane, unmarried, childless guy would do: I tried to push start it.

New tires. Slightly wet pavement. And a full tank of gas. I was lucky I didn’t drop the thing. Anyway, it just wouldn’t start.

Now on my old 916 (this is my second 916), I was pretty well able to get the thing going anytime I wanted. I even remember riding it to Starbucks on 23rd street in Portland, Oregon, and going off with a group of guys who all had fully functioning starters, while I ran and pop-started my 916.

But I can’t seem to get it this time. I’ve tried on two separate occasions, using a little hill to get it up to speed. Popped in second. Still no hope.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
If the battery is like, flat, then you need to charge it up.

The 916 doesn't use a magneto, it needs power for the fuel pump, computer, ignition etc. and relays have to operate.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
I've never been able to push start a Superbike...one time, me and my friends spent an hour trying!

·
Registered
196 Posts
If the battery was that dead, push starting it (if it actually would start), is not a good thing for the alternator. The high load on the alternator can fry it. Also it is not likely to get the battery fully charged just by riding it around. You need to get a full charge on the battery from a quality charger.
I had both me and my wifes car batteries need replacing, both showed about 13V but turned the starter slow. I found both had low CCA capacity. This would have really become a problem when trying to start on a freezing cold morning.
If your gonna let your bike sit for more than two weeks unused, put the battery on a battery tender.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the battery out, gave it to my mechanic. He said it was completely flat.

So now I need to figure out which battery to replace it with.

Dry Cell?

The original big size one was a YB16AL-A2, right?

Mine was a smaller one... didn't even fit fully in the battery cradle.

I guess I'll asks 'Parts.'

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 916 and have 2 buddies that have one as well. Even w/ a dead battery you should be able to roll start her. Sounds like it could be a fuel delivery or spark issue. Does it sound like its trying to turn over when you bump start it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
The YB16 is quite adequate for the 916, but Yuasa makes a sealed version you might want to look into. You can go to their website and see exactly which batteries are listed for any bike. I'm sure once a fully charged battery is in your 916 it'll start and run just fine. As mentioned above, it's nearly impossible to bump-start a fuel injected bike with a completely dead battery. Invest in a battery tender and leave your bike hooked up when you're not riding and your new battery will last for years and years. Sitting just kills 'em.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
It doesn't do any good to push start a bike like a Ducati with electronic fuel injection if the battery is dead. No juice, no stuff for the injection. The newer gel batteries have less poop than the old ones, but take less maintenance.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Also, from my old flat track days, if you put the bike in first or second, roll it backwards until it comes up against compression going the other way (I know that isn't very clear, but do it and you'll see what I mean), pull in the clutch to break the plates loose while still pulling backwards, pop it into neutral, give it a good run, jump real good, and when your ass hits the seat, pull it up into second. The engine will get at least one full turn before it comes up against compression and, in my experience, usually will light. It works on Harleys, on big singles, pretty much everything I've tried it out on it works.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts