Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys... I wonder, does the push rod suppose to turn along with the pressure plate? I mean, the push rod is connected to the bearing on the pressure plate, and I think the original intend was keep the pressure plate rotate without rotating the push rod (and the rod basically just push the pressure plate). The problem that I have now is:

- The rod will turn with the plate at N. Depend on the engine speed, sometime the push rod will turn with the PP, sometime it doesn't.

- I found oil on the other end of the rod when I pull the rod out. And my clutch is not exactly "dry" either. It is very dry of the first few plates - and some oil at the bottom (inner) pieces. I don't know where the oil coming from - possibly from the slave. Is it a common problem? Or is it a problem at all?

The bike is in fact running fine - I just worry that the turning rod will have negative effect on the 2 bubble seal at the inner end of the rod.... do I need a new bearing at the pressure plate? The old one still work fine...

Any input is welcome!

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
It will turn in N, or any orher gear if the lever is NOT pressed.

If the clutch lever is pressed, then it should NOT turn.

Tom

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will turn in N, or any orher gear if the lever is NOT pressed.

If the clutch lever is pressed, then it should NOT turn.

Tom
Now... if that's the pressure plate that u were talking about, yes. I am talking about the rod - not the plate. The plate will turn at N; and once the clutch is engaged , it will stop or turn depends on the lever pull.

The real question is - does the rod suppose to turns with the pressure plate?

·
Registered
654 Posts
No the push rod should stay still, by the sound of it your pressure
plate bearing is on its way out.
the two little O-rings on the push rod should be changed as well as the p/plate bearing,and you might have caught it before it damages the slave cylinder by spinning it.

brian.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
yea, that don't sound right. There should not be any oil in there. I think the gasket is going. I would have to take mine apart to remember. I also remember being able to put something in backwards if you didn't read the directions carefully. This is not common but I do remember somebody having this issue. I think the gasket was disintegrating and it left chunks in the fluid. Or the fluid got really dark.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Now... if that's the pressure plate that u were talking about, yes. I am talking about the rod - not the plate. The plate will turn at N; and once the clutch is engaged , it will stop or turn depends on the lever pull.

The real question is - does the rod suppose to turns with the pressure plate?
I was talking about the rod.

To clarify:

If the clutch lever is pressed, the rod should not turn with the plate. If it does, your bearing is seized.

If the lever is not pressed, then it may turn with the plate, regardless of bearing condition. The rod is floating in this case, so there is nothing to prevent it from turning with the plate due to the minimal resistance of even a perfect bearing.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts