Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have been using pure gas since owning the bike after I found out about the tank swelling (2 months into buying the bike).

But have always been like "Are they just charging me for pure gas but selling e10"....

I finally got around to buying a tester off ebay and looks good. So guess it really is clean gas. You just put water in the vial to first line, then fill rest to top line. I think because the alcohol and the water will form one solution it will give a gradient incorporating the alcohol. I need to test the gas I put into my truck. I just put any pump gas in that... The Fighter & dirt bikes get clean gas...

The lower line is the water & gas seperation. It tells you to shake it for a minute so the line is a litttle blurry and you can see the little water bubbles that aren't able to mix with the gas.

I found the local 2 stations that sell clean gas on the pure gas website. Just google "ethanol free gas"... I pay on average about $4 per gallon for clean gas as opposed to around $3.50 for regular unleaded locally if you are curious...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
You're lucky you can get ethanol free gas in your area. I can't. My SFS doesn't have many miles on it and I have drained the tank of fuel after riding it to preserve the tank. I've also kept Sea Foam in all my fuel even though this won't save your gas tank. I don't have any tank expansion problems that I can see. Recently I've decided to go another route to save my tank and fuel system and possibly have a slightly smoother running engine. I'm going to use VP-T4 fuel in the SFS. The downside is that it isn't cheap. I have a VP dealer 2 miles from work. I bought 5 gallons earlier this week. That's the least you can buy. I ran some in my Speed Triple the other evening. I haven't used it in my SFS yet.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
What city r u in squirrel?
I live about 50 miles east of Chicago in north west Indiana. At the southern tip of Lake Michigan. When ethanol was first introduced here it was still possible to get ethanol free gas in the next county. Not to far away. That was years ago now. I checked that site and the closest ethanol free stations are hours away and none have premium that I've seen on there.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Geez - there are only 5 freakin' stations in California, and none are anywhere remotely near SoCal. What we need is some sort of filter that removes ethanol. Then we can buy E10 in a can, and pour it through the filter into our tanks.

Inventors, start inventing!!!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
You're lucky you can get ethanol free gas in your area. I can't. My SFS doesn't have many miles on it and I have drained the tank of fuel after riding it to preserve the tank. I've also kept Sea Foam in all my fuel even though this won't save your gas tank. I don't have any tank expansion problems that I can see. Recently I've decided to go another route to save my tank and fuel system and possibly have a slightly smoother running engine. I'm going to use VP-T4 fuel in the SFS. The downside is that it isn't cheap. I have a VP dealer 2 miles from work. I bought 5 gallons earlier this week. That's the least you can buy. I ran some in my Speed Triple the other evening. I haven't used it in my SFS yet.
Squirrel, I got my SC tank replaced in march, drove it from dealer until dry and bought a 35gal barrel of the same VP fuel, no problems so far, on 3'rd tank full (I have a bunch of bikes so that barrel will last me one season up here). Seems to run a little better on the stuff to.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I buy 20 - 25 gals at a time and just refill off it until down to last container. Then it's time to load up the cans & make the drive. If I didn't have this option I'd most likely sell this bike.

Out of curiosity, how much is 35 gals of VP? Do you pick it up locally, or ship?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Guys, try your local marinas. Then if you find eth-free post it up on PureGas.org

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
and coating the thank wouldn't be an easier alternative?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
It would, but there are a few SC owners that have reported expansion problems with the tank coating. From what I read these owners had the coating done properly but who knows. I like the coating idea but it's still early to know how long it will last or cause even more problems. I'm sticking with the VP-T4 for now. I might need a second part time job now to pay for fuel. Luckily I don't ride my SFS that much.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I buy 20 - 25 gals at a time and just refill off it until down to last container. Then it's time to load up the cans & make the drive. If I didn't have this option I'd most likely sell this bike.

Out of curiosity, how much is 35 gals of VP? Do you pick it up locally, or ship?
OK About $350 for 35 gals but shipping is killer with hazmat. Place I got it from is local distribution center so i did not pay as much as if I got one container shipped from texas which was about $130. Paid about $400 total.
And again I only play on this bike all my commuter rides have steel tanks.
No marina's in the NE area have the e-free gas, closest places are about 100 miles, couple airports in NH. Figure gas up and down, containers and price, bet its not that far off my VP price. BTW VP place was only 30 minuets away.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the thread start... I found out I have a station selling pure 87,89, & 93 gasoline 3.4 miles from my house! And I downloaded a free app for my iPhone that lists all the ethanol free stations for every state.. clutch!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Damn so close!

I found a place only 3 miles from my house, but they only sell 110 VP LEADED FUEL.

All the other places are 20 miles away. So close!

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,849 Posts
I love living in good old Greenville, SC. Great roads nearby and plenty of places to buy pure gas. Slightly harder to find it in Western Nc but that's probably b/c I don't know the area. I've got 4 stations w/I 5 miles that's sell pure 93.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Trying this out....

Ok, this whole tank expansion issue is a major pain in the ass. My SFS is only two months old and I've put close to 1,000 miles on it, but I do not want to go through this issue.

I don't have any ethanol free gas anywhere close to me... I found a station that is 30 minutes away, but only has 91.

I'm going to coat the tank, but not till this winter, as I don't want to lose the riding season & I don't have a ton of free time to pull off the tank and do this now.

I don't feel like doing nothing & hope nothing happens and not riding the bike is not an option, so I'm giving the VP T4 a shot.

I called VP and they were VERY helpful & provided me with a dealer that gets the 5 gallon barriers of VP T4 and gets shipments every other week.

I rode earlier AM till the bike was empty and filled up with VP T4. (P.S. - if you get a 5 gallon tank, be VERY careful opening, as the tanks are pressurized.)

Started pouring right after I filled my SFS up, but I started it up and let it run for a little while. Started right up with no-popping whatsoever.

Sounded like it ran better, but we shall see. I should be able to get a ride in tonight and report back.

Here is another concern and I could use some fuel experts help. While VP T4 does not have ethanol it is oxygenated with MTBE, which is still an adder and I think will still cause the tank to expand.

So, after all this, i'm not sure if this is a viable option..... I have a call into VP to get their feedback.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
MTBE was the additive before ethanol. MTBE never caused the current tank issues as far as I know. You guys should of seen the inside of my brothers lawn mower carburetor. I took it apart on Sunday. It wouldn't run after sitting. I took the float bowl off and it had jelly like residue all over. That's good old ethanol for you. Some BS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Still been raining here & haven't gotten a break to get a ride in yet. I want to be able to push it a little to see how she feels.

I know we have tank expansion issues from ethanol, but do we know "what" is causing it.

I'm going to do a search tonight to see if we will still have any issues with MTBE.

Still no updates from VP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts